Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Magix ended Xara distribution...

Now that Xara is once again the sole point of reference for the product, I hope they will create a purchasable version of the software, with the option for future updates. Otherwise, we will have to start considering turning to alternative options.
    Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    End of an era or start of a new one? - for some perhaps!
    No fanfare announcement (or email) from Xara about switching and discounts (why doesn't that surprise me!).
    Jono, some observations from the side-lines.

For whatever commercial reason, Xara and Magix have parted. Xara kept the house and Magix got all the children. Xara is not allowed to directly contact the children.
    As one of the children from this union, you can still ask and get your permanent activation for any two copies of product that your licence covers.
    Far older versions allowed three installations.
    You need to keep checking these are available through the Magix Service Centre. I still do.

So your email might not be available to Xara. Or it might be stale.
    Xara will have your Serial Number as it probably owns the authentication service.
    The discount form is a giveaway as normally only the Serial Number should be required.

Xara ran a LIFETIME discount voucher for a very long time and as an early adopter I should get it year on year. it costs you nothing to try it. If it is rejected then you have the following.

You may end up in thrall to Xara offering treats.
    Use the JULY40 code by 04 July to get 40% off. Useful for those with the Magix Update Service no longer active.
    I do not know if the special discount to current Magix v19 users will allow this code to also be applied. Xara is usually quite accommodating though.
    Other visitation dates seem to pop up routinely, Black Friday, Christmas, Easter. The Independence Day code might be a gesture back to Magix.

If going the Xara Subscription route, do remember you do not need to uninstall any Magix version; these are independent.
    Also, make sure you use the Download All option in the Local Designs gallery as these are all your toys and you can keep them.

It is simpler for Xara to go Subscription.
    Unfortunately, I cannot think you any divorce analogy that covers this. Casual dating is a possible but it is a bit off the mark.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Disgusting business dealings with clients. I am not pleased with either companies. They have no regards for us users.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Disgusting business dealings with clients. I am not pleased with either companies. They have no regards for us users.
    behzad, buying a product does not make you a client, you are a customer.

Xara has referring to the Magix version as "Legacy" for quite a time and has made unwarranted offers to repatriate Magix users back to Xara.
    It is up to you to accept a subscription solution, which is all Xara is prepared to offer. Most computer products gravitate towards this as it is a self-limiting mechanism providing support only to the current version.
    It also frees up development by reducing the need of backward compatibility.

Magix found it difficult to maintain four releases a year, taking it down to two then one and now none.
    None of us know what the contract was for MagiXara but I predicted there would never be a version 20.

I have fought hard against Xara and Magix over support, versions and bug fixes. Xara has always tried to accommodate. I have had poor technical support through Magix.

Xara is totally allowed to take its intellectual property in any direction it chooses. Magix is allowed to ensure what it sells remain cash cows for as long as possible.
    It is down to us, the consumer, to decide if we want to be taken on a journey or just taken for a ride.

I have said all along that if you are a professional developer, you should design with the latest tool for your client. Subscription costs are trivial.
    If you are a hobbyist, you need to decide what your financial commitment will be. Stick with what works for you.
    If Xara had done a Designer as Serif did for Affinity, we would all be very happy. Perhaps there's still hope - Affinity Web 3.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn, you are a good arbitrator and ambassador for Xara.

I also feel a bond with Xara because of the investment in time, learning, enjoyment and artistic achievement I have had in past using P&GD.

Paying Magix around £25 a year for an upgrade (if I wanted to) was fine, but as an occasional user nowadays, even with a substantial discount, I can't justify taking out a subscription. If I made websites or did paid design work it might a different matter.

I do hope sometime in the future Xara will reconsider and release a non-subscription standalone version of P&GD. Maybe even a 'lite' version that doesn't compete too closely with their flagship "+" versions, but does have a few updates now and then. (that's the dream!).
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Dear Acorn. I was using Serif for a long time too and what I liked about them even though they stopped all production was that at least they communicated to users and gave them ample time before closing shop and opening what is now known as Affinity. Xara does not care, never did listen to their whatever you may want to call people like myself even to the point of fixing bugs or minor details. I am financially well off and have no issue paying for a subscription but I am forced into this corner in the past years and now this. It was Xara behind all this and not Magix. Xara pulled the rug under us. I am going to stop complaining now. This is the last post in this regards.