Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Dumb newbe. copy photo onto blank shape

I've done this years ago in another program..(obsolete). I'm trying to create a png file for a webpage that has a picture logo on one side of a rectangle shape that is transparent . I can create the rectangle shape, and I can add the picture but its on a layer below and is covered up by the rectangle shape . I've been reading here and in the help files both online and local and I've tried to routine in the training video to no avail. I know this is something simple that I'm missing and hate to bother people with my dumb question. But I have tried to find the answer on my own...
    So I guess I'm asking how do I make a shape I create become transparent and paste another picture/logo onto the rectangle shape?

Thanks for looking and the help.
    Tom

Default Re: Dumb newbe. copy photo onto blank shape

not absolutely clear what you mean

is the logo literally on a lower layer, or just stacked below - if it is stacked below then selecting it and ctrl+F will bring it to the top
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

.. to make the shape transparent, select it and click 'set no colour' on the colour bar
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for the reply. Indeed Ctrl-F brought it to the top but I haven't gotten it to save transparently yet. I'm trying to figure out why I cannot "set no color" . I feel so stupid, being a retired engineer, programmer, etc. this has turned out to be a learning curve I didn't expect.
    Thanks handrawn. I'm getting there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-06-28 18_55_45-Xara Designer Pro X - [Untitled1 _].jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	133798

when you export your PNG make sure you select colour depth true colour + alpha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-06-28 18_57_49-Xara Designer Pro X - [Untitled1 _].png 
Views:	33 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	133799

you will need to select everything you want in the export [you can group first if you wish]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Tbrent777 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Indeed Ctrl-F brought it to the top but I haven't gotten it to save transparently yet. I'm trying to figure out why I cannot "set no color" . I feel so stupid, being a retired engineer, programmer, etc. this has turned out to be a learning curve I didn't expect.
    Thanks handrawn. I'm getting there.
    I still haven't been able to save it as a transparency. It always turns out all black or all clear with the picture also invisible. I attached the .xar file if you wish to look at it. Been trying to do this one thing for several hours... I tried ctrl+f to bring the pic to the top, added text to the rectangle box, selected "no color" for the box which holds the pic and text. I know I'm choosing something wrong to save it. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I export it as a .png file with 256 colors and also true colors and alpha and it still turns out empty.. I have successfully saved the png file from the website skin with my own text and that worked but when I create one new it just doesn't save correctly....
    Thanks,
    Tom
    AHH !! I have to highlight the top level and then export it..!! Now I see the precision this program has in it's ability to save in pieces. Never seen that in a graphics program before.... It only took me about 4 hours to figure that out....
    Sorry to have been such a pain..
    Thanks you Handrawn..
    Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tbrent777; 28 June 2023 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Resolved problem

tom, I think you need to give your object an line width [outline] - you may then need to adjust the position of your image
    Nothing lasts forever...

select all - choose a line width on the info bar and you should see your text and box
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    select all - choose a line width on the info bar and you should see your text and box
    Thanks again, that made things a lot easier to see..and do.

you can make both the outline of shape and the fill of a shape transparent; if you do both you won't see anything

glad you are getting there
    Nothing lasts forever...