Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Attempting to use Google Maps Widget crashes Web Designer

I wish to embed the Google Map Widget on a page. When I click on the Import button the map appears briefly then switches to a different view telling me I have to update my browser. I have the latest versions of Firefox (Default) and Edge installed.

When I try to Sign in to Google I get the not responding message and then after about 30 seconds Web Designer 19.0.1.65946 crashes or tells me my browser isn't secure. If I click on Learn More, Internet Explorer loads and hangs my Windows 11 machine. I then have to use Task Manager to regain control.

Thanks in anticipation
    Kevin

Default Re: Attempting to use Google Maps Widget crashes Web Designer

Kkeys. The answer to this one is not to use the widget. Draw a placeholder and grab the code from google maps. Grabbing that code is very straightforward. You can even adjust the size of the map by adjusting the width numbers in the google code.
    I’ve had trouble with this widget before.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Kkeys. The answer to this one is not to use the widget. Draw a placeholder and grab the code from google maps. Grabbing that code is very straightforward. You can even adjust the size of the map by adjusting the width numbers in the google code.
    I’ve had trouble with this widget before.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Just to add some details to Bill's answer.

Click the Share button in Google Maps and then 'Embed A Map'
    Copy the HTML code, but don't worry about the drop-down box relating to size.
    Past the code into the Placeholders HTML Code (Body)
    In the pasted code, look for the 'Width=' and 'Length=' and change the figures to 100%. This will now allow you to change the size by resizing the placeholder itself.

Chris

I can't do any of what you suggest. When I click on Import, the map appears for a split second then opens a new window telling me to upgrade my browser. I have Firefox (Default) and Edge, both latest versions. If I click on the Google Maps button on the page, Internet Explorer loads and briefly displays the map before reverting to the help message again. I then have to use Task Manager to kill IE.
    I'm stumped.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kkeys View Post
    Chris

I can't do any of what you suggest. When I click on Import, the map appears for a split second then opens a new window telling me to upgrade my browser. I have Firefox (Default) and Edge, both latest versions. If I click on the Google Maps button on the page, Internet Explorer loads and briefly displays the map before reverting to the help message again. I then have to use Task Manager to kill IE.
    I'm stumped.
    Kevin
    You need to forget the widget. It stopped working when IE was abandoned. Do as bwood suggests and create a rectangle, then:
    Utilities > Web Properties > Placeholder (tab) > HTML Code (Body) and past the Google code from the Embed Map section.
    Edit the size Google gave you to read 100% for both width and height.

Will do. Thanks.