Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Sad update for users of the perpetual licence of Designer Pro X19

Hi Folks.

I recently wrote to Magix asking when the next version of Designer Pro (X20) will be available.

Sadly, on 5th June 2023, I got the following reply from Magix support, and I quote.

we have ended the cooperation with XARA and will therefore not offer any new products from this provider. You are welcome to purchase the new versions directly from XARA

So that means Xara is now subscription only, unless Xara gives us an option to buy a perpetual licence of Designer Pro.

Default Re: Sad update for users of the perpetual licence of Designer Pro X19

Promidi, thank you for sharing this depressing but expected news.

For those who are unaware of what Xara now offers, this, https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...e-of-Xara-Plus, might be now wrong about cost savings but it covers the basics.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

sadly expected, yes; in fact, looking at the way magix' product range is managed, expected from the moment designer pro + was released

thanks for the info, it is good to know these things so you can make sensible decisions for the furure...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Expected but it sucks.

Xara products have been and still are a part of Magix video products, Video Pro X, Magix Movie Studio (was renamed from Movie Edit Pro, Video Deluxe in other languages) and PhotoStory. The current version has a couple of bugs in the interface between the two products making what should be and was, at one time, a fantastic feature not available with most other video editing programs.
    https://youtu.be/SDg86J-WUfA
    Part of this bug has been there for several years now and my requests to fix it have fallen on deaf ears. I want these fixed, then Xara can go away - no need for further updates.

It is not clear if there will be any more updates to the desktop version from Xara itself and I am one who does not want a subscription to a program such as this and I do not like or want to use a Cloud-based program. Will Xara continue with the desktop version? If so, can I subscribe for a year every once in a while just to get the desktop version? And does the desktop version continue to work as before even if the subscription is no longer active?

Say what you want about Magix, but the Xara program always came from Xara, Magix just marketed and sold it (and used it with some of their other programs). Xara has gone in a different direction and its development no longer has any relevance to the Magix line of products. Magix is not in the web design or brochure or document making business and that is where Xara has gone. Magix makes audio-video products and the synergy is no longer there. If I was Magix, I would rebrand Xara Photo & Graphics Designer as Magix Graphics. No need for any updating except to fix bugs.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

magix DAW products are very good - that is where they started, and they remain excellent; the rest I have always seen, rightly or wrongly, as 'remainder' products, milking what is near, or has reached, the end of it's life, for as long as people will buy it

whether the update service will continue is a good point - the program code belongs to xara afaik, if there is no longer 'cooperation' what can actually be updated ?

I am ok, I can do all I need with ver 15.1

If I were statrting to day from scratch I would go straight to affinity...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Expected but it sucks.

Xara products have been and still are a part of Magix video products, Video Pro X, Magix Movie Studio (was renamed from Movie Edit Pro, Video Deluxe in other languages) and PhotoStory. The current version has a couple of bugs in the interface between the two products making what should be and was, at one time, a fantastic feature not available with most other video editing programs.
    https://youtu.be/SDg86J-WUfA
    Part of this bug has been there for several years now and my requests to fix it have fallen on deaf ears. I want these fixed, then Xara can go away - no need for further updates.

It is not clear if there will be any more updates to the desktop version from Xara itself and I am one who does not want a subscription to a program such as this and I do not like or want to use a Cloud-based program. Will Xara continue with the desktop version? If so, can I subscribe for a year every once in a while just to get the desktop version? And does the desktop version continue to work as before even if the subscription is no longer active?

Say what you want about Magix, but the Xara program always came from Xara, Magix just marketed and sold it (and used it with some of their other programs). Xara has gone in a different direction and its development no longer has any relevance to the Magix line of products. Magix is not in the web design or brochure or document making business and that is where Xara has gone. Magix makes audio-video products and the synergy is no longer there. If I was Magix, I would rebrand Xara Photo & Graphics Designer as Magix Graphics. No need for any updating except to fix bugs.
    John, can you potentially "integrate" a Plus version into your Magix video products or would it require Magix intervention?

Magix, as you say, has never had the resource or ability to change the Xara codebase.

Xara have been referring to the XDAs (non Plus versions) as "Legacy" for quite a time.
    Xara may well be in a position to rekindle these, away from Magix, if extant contracts permit.
    If Xara does, it ought to ditch the inane Update Service and align all the desktop versions directly to the Plus (subscription) ones. Magix v19s would be uplifted to current Xara+ v23, painlessly.
    Currently, the Plus versions are pure subscription and you lose all access to the desktop version when you stop. If one bought was the Update Service each year, there would be little that is different other that the subscription offers the latest version all the time and updates are quite high.

My main concern is when will Magix disconnect from its Help role, the customer licensing base, the Online Content Catalogue and hosting services?
    I have licences going back to dot and I still use the free-access to v11 OCC.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    If I were statrting to day from scratch I would go straight to affinity...
    If Affinity did the web...

Acorn

which i don't
    Nothing lasts forever...

This I knew a year ago. It was obvious. The fact that Xara and them kept it under wrap is disgusting. I am finished upgrading for now. Even though I purchased 19 after having gotten a new computer Magix told me I am back to v18. Moving on. There is more fish in the sea. To me Xara was amazing but even now with the blocks etc.. they are trying to catchup to something 5 years ago. As a user for more than 2 decades I do have the rights to express how I feel.

Thanks Promidi.

Sadly that does look like the end of the road for non-subscribers.

Slightly different thing, but I was not around to experience Xara’s marriage with Corel and their eventual divorce. Magix saying “we have ended the cooperation” actually sounds like they are the ones breaking things off.

So what do Xara say about all this? Rhetorical question of course. I’m not holding my breath for an answer!

To my mind to make a Xara subscription make sense, web hosting should be included as an option to complete the whole website building experience. Not that I do websites! But I might be tempted with that sort of package. I might even buy a new PC!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022