Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Transparency Loss Import PNG

Good morning, I am on Windows 11 pro with XDP X v. 19.

A customer is sending me logos that they are receiving from their graphic printer company.

When sent in PDF, I can open this PDF in XDP and the transparency and layers remain, and I can edit it

When they send me a PNG logo I save it and import it, and I lose the transparency and layers. I am unable to remove the black background.
    *Note: when uploading PNG here to forum it changed to JPG.

I did a little research and found this thread, read thru but did not quite come up with a solution. https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...b-Designer-Pro

I can ask the customer to resend the logo in PDF format, but I was just curious to know if XDP should be opening a PNG graphic design with transparency and layers intact for me to work with?

As always, I appreciate the wonderful help and support here at Talk Graphics.

Sue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMG logo.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	133693  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Transparency Loss Import PNG

there are no layers in a PNG file it is flattened

whether the transparency is preserved depends on what settings were used by the sender [and to an extent which program]

eg: if you export a PNG from xara, you must stipulate true colour + alpha to preserve transparency

the fact that the background come in black suggests to me that the PNG was made with a transparency mask rather than an seperate alpha channel; xara cannot read those
    Last edited by handrawn; 25 May 2023 at 04:00 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sue, you need the PDF if you then separate out shape, lustre, indents and text.

The text is all shapes so it would be better to get the Font used and reconstruct from that.

I ripped into the PDF and while it it fine for SVG rendering, it takes up space.
    Instead you can take the repeating pattern and convert to a Bitmap and then use it in a Repeating Fill.
    There are ways to keep the repeat as an SVG but the red bordered shape is crisp enough.

Deconstructing allows you to redesign the logo into many variations as you like.

Keep as vector for as long as possible or until it gets too hard.

Logo Deconstructed.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Thank you for your thoughts and detailed instructions.

I did notice that when I pulled the PDF into Xara that the letters are shapes.
    Great idea for me to ask for the font that’s used to reconstruct from that.

Thank you for deconstructing the logo and sharing it with me.
    Great idea to keep vector for as long as possible.

I’m off to work on this now. Thank you again!

Sue

helpful guy acorn
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...