Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default the making of an idea - a progression

in this thread: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...sory-any-users the converation turned to ideas and how to generate them

I associate things all the time, so lets associate something:

ducks and water - not an unusual pairing, an obvious one; unusual pairings can be very powerful, but you don't need to start with them

water is in the news, rivers and streams are polluted, if I would not wish to swim in one maybe a sensitive duck would not either; this rings a bell, I am reminded of searle's 'a fastidious rat in search of an impeccable sewer' : nose high, pained expression, standing on a ledge above the water holding it's tail well clear - as I recall this was done over 30 years ago, not much changes maybe

this is inspirational, but at the moment it is ephemeral - a quick sketch is made on paper and joins other ideas, bulldog clipped and hung on the wall - there are a quite a few of these collections, in theory at least they are catagorised; a note is made on the computer database of the idea, keyphrase sensitive duck, and which clip the sketch is in - yes I could scan the sketch and put it into the database, but actually that takes more time than it is worth because good ones are constantly being tweaked as the idea develops

end of stage one
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 May 2023 at 10:50 AM. Reason: clarity
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: the making of an idea - a progression

@handrawn, what you have described just about linking ideas is how I use Mind Maps (Tony Buzan) all the time.
    I try to present a single word or concept with a sketch and that word or image invokes a number of other branches with a connected but different concept.
    While I an word-centric, I use an icon, colour or blob to cement the idea.

It is not the same as brainstorming where anything goes and one then to try and link or shoehorn into your design or problem space.
    Done well and the Map remains in one's memory and can be redrawn. It achieves 80+% retention, but looking over the Map quickly tops that back up.

There are Apps that cover mind-mapping but coloured pens, pencils and paper are the best as you are employing muscle memory a lot more.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

mind-mapping is a very powerful tool - I use it for character development - eg mapping attributes a character can/will display together with thumbails of associated posture and expression - characterisations are complex and detailed, even simple charaters have to be, well, in character all the time - for complex work could do a sub-map for each major attribute: happiness for example comes in many different ways...

brainstorming is for problem solving; creating a drawing is not a problem to solve, it is a journey to be undertaken

you are employing muscle memory a lot more
    it's essential that memory muscle gets fed fuel; that involves experiencing things, lots of things... and then even more things, even if that is only reading widely, making sure you do not stay in your comfort zone all the time...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Too much time and too little to do! (me, that is!)

Just for fun I've taken some of the information hd gave in post #1 and cobbled together a mind map style diagram.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum conversations.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	384.0 KB 
ID:	133686

That's a brilliant idea using the bulldog clip/computer database/rough sketch filing system. I'm definitely going to try that!

Are there going to be more insights to other stages? (hope so!) :-)
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

thanks jono, very helpful

watch this space...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can of worms.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	133689
    Nothing lasts forever...

fairly obvious - but collect bylines from the media that appeal, and then research ones you want to go with

and with luck [?] things will happen to you: scrolling through a supplier website I happened to notice that spare blades for pencil sharpeners would not be sold to anyone under the age of 18; no such restriction on the shapeners themselves; screwdriver anyone ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Funny that. I had an age verification check buying a small hand trowel yesterday but not on a sauce pan! Obviously a different type of weapon.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

it's a restriction on 'cutting-edge' technology
    Nothing lasts forever...