Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The end of standalone desktop version?

I've been away from this forum for many years - however, I've been using Xara since version 2.0.

I just upgraded to Xara Designer Pro X about a year ago. I really prefer the standalone version and do not like paying monthly for cloud products.

I just saw an email about the new content and blocks for website building. I thought the email was telling me it was available if I upgrade my desktop version, but now I'm not sure.

When I go to the Xara website I cannot even FIND the desktop version anymore. Is it a thing of the past now??
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Default Re: The end of standalone desktop version?

the blocks are not [yet] available in the standalone version, which is now handled by magix not xara, and you will find it on the magix site

the xara site now only handles the subscription service, cloud and pro+ ['pro plus'] and these programs are regularly updated; the standalone versions are not, maybe once a year

you get what you pay for, I suppose...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
    I've been away from this forum for many years - however, I've been using Xara since version 2.0.
    I just upgraded to Xara Designer Pro X about a year ago. I really prefer the standalone version and do not like paying monthly for cloud products.
    I just saw an email about the new content and blocks for website building. I thought the email was telling me it was available if I upgrade my desktop version, but now I'm not sure.
    When I go to the Xara website I cannot even FIND the desktop version anymore. Is it a thing of the past now??
    Robert's, Xara's subscription products, https://www.xara.com/products/, hav the latest features. Magix is the laggard, https://www.magix.com/gb/products/.

From afar, nothing is happening with Magix updating, so all people are currently getting is access to the on-line content.

If this is the future, jump to the subscription, costs are similar. Keep your current XDPXv19 and if Magix wake up you can always renew that and drop the subscription.
    Doing neither and you are in limbo.

Not dead, moribund with lovely plumage.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the info. In that case I will just leave it as is. My business has shifted more to web applications with mysql. I only use Xara for fun projects around the home or to edit a simple logo for a client. I also bought the complete Affinity suite to play around with.
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Is it not the case that Xara are the authors and control the release of updates, making Magix appear as laggards and gain advantage by intentionally holding back the standalone versions?

wfcentral just had a quick look at your website which is great but noticed on your ‘about’ page, under ‘experience’ you have a line of information listed twice.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

interesting point jono

true magix can only release what they have been given but that said, when they release it is up to them as I understand it, they do the compilation

so maybe a bit of both...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post

Hi Robert, You can find the stand-alone desktop products at www.xara.com/products or through the drop-down Products menu item at xara.com. By stand-alone, I mean that the apps are locally installed software, can run offline, and do not come bundled with the Xara Cloud product. The pricing model for the Plus desktop apps is monthly or annual plans as pointed out by others below.

You can try the Plus desktop apps on a free 14-day trial. An email is required to activate the software and it can be used on the same machine as an older Xara product.

A good resource to learn more about What's New in the Plus version is the Release Notes.

You can always reach us www.xara.com/contact-us or through the Chat on xara.com

Best,
    Matt
    Xara
    Last edited by MB365; 11 May 2023 at 11:02 AM.

I don't think that is what Robert meant by standalone as he referrenced designer pro X and preferring not to pay monthly, which you have to do with the programs you mention whether they are desktop or cloud based

that said a desktop version is standalone from the cloud so maybe that is what was meant

perpetual licence is a better description for the magix versions
    Nothing lasts forever...