Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Viewport not set to "device-width"

I received this prompt from Google ..Viewport not set to "device-width". How do I fix this?

Default Re: Viewport not set to "device-width"

Quote Originally Posted by peebee44 View Post
    I received this prompt from Google ..Viewport not set to "device-width". How do I fix this?
    Are you still on XWDPv11?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

No 19

I am using Version 19

All recent Xara products generate the following:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"/>
    I suspect Google is choking on something else.

You have not explained if you have any Variants or if the problem actually presents, say, on a phone.

Viewport not set to "device-width"
    The page defines a fixed-width viewport property, which means that it can't adjust for different screen sizes.

To fix: Adopt a responsive design for your site’s pages, and set the viewport to match the device’s width and scale accordingly. Read how to correctly Set the Viewport.
    Xara's approach is not responsive, it is adaptive.

In your desktop browser, press F12 > Lighthouse and run that.
    It should provide more detail.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Are you still on XWDPv11?
    I am using v11. What is your advice in that case?

Info Re: Viewport not set to "device-width"

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    Acorn, I am using v11. What is your advice in that case?
    lex, for earlier versions, open Website > HTML Code (head) and Paste
    Code:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"/>

To check for any XDA version:

• Preview and open in Chrome.
    • Press F12 and then Ctrl+Shift+M to Toggle device toolbar.
    • This will then show how your site appear across multiple devices, H or V.

Acorn

Acorn,

Great! Thanks.

Sorry for not answering before, had a few problems. Here is a link to my website, see if there are any problems, it all works on my pc and phone.
    www.paulbennett.art

Quote Originally Posted by peebee44 View Post
    Sorry for not answering before, had a few problems. Here is a link to my website, see if there are any problems, it all works on my pc and phone.
    www.paulbennett.art
    Paul, I can see no issue with Viewport.

What I do see is slow rendering of a page switching between Variants; there is a delay until the page has loaded into the browser (download or cache) before it centres the page.
    You have a total of four adaptive variants.
    Instead, try with two and use Scale to Fit Width.

There is quite a delay in you using the Pop-up Photo method for only then showing a scaled up version.
    Viewers might appreciate having the Gallery option as many might not realise the use of the Arrow Keys
    There is more benefit in using Pop-up Layers but this requires more effort. I prefer being able to add the name of my images to the Image Filename, c.f., 'The Rose.jpg' versus 2494.jpg.
    instead, split your Galleries into chunks across more pages.
    If your were to use just one Variant, lose the pop-up and just make the image fit the page width as have all stacked vertically. There is no clean way for the HighSlide viewer to be manually navigated from a phone.

You are selling yourself, so drop the 'Made with Xara' footer detail. Unless you are using your site to sell Xara as affiliate, all the work and praise should be to you.
    I think you need to include indicative prices and timescales in your Contacts page. Tone down the giant Contact button.
    Aim for consistency in your page titles - All CAPS, no Initial Cap, ...

Acorn