Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pixel resolution of HTML exported files

Hello. Within Xara Designer Pro+ (version 23.0.1.66316), I've optimized all of the images in my website to 72 dpi, but when I export the document as a website (by clicking on the HTML top menu tab), the files get changed to 96 dpi. As a test, I've copied and pasted images from my published website into Photoshop. Photoshop reports the copied images as being 96 dpi. In Xara, under Page Options / View / Bitmaps, I've entered 72 for "DPI when auto generated", but this has not resolved the issue. I assume this change in dpi is causing my site's overall file size to significantly increase. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Pixel resolution of HTML exported files

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Hello. Within Xara Designer Pro+ (version 23.0.1.66316), I've optimized all of the images in my website to 72 dpi, but when I export the document as a website (by clicking on the HTML top menu tab), the files get changed to 96 dpi. As a test, I've copied and pasted images from my published website into Photoshop. Photoshop reports the copied images as being 96 dpi. In Xara, under Page Options / View / Bitmaps, I've entered 72 for "DPI when auto generated", but this has not resolved the issue. I assume this change in dpi is causing my site's overall file size to significantly increase. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    rocket, I have checked with the Default image Xara provides. I cloned it and make the copy 72dpi and piblished.
    Each has a different file size. The smaller 72dpi is a file of 192x192px the larger 96dpi is 256x256px. So a 96dpi file ought to be 78% bigger.

What PS is reporting is a 192x192px file at 96dpi. What you are seeing is a 192x192px natural dimensioned file being scaled up to 256x256px.
    Check in Xara doing what i just described and you will see the dimensions and sizes quite distinctly.
    Neither is wrong but your belief in displaying a 72dpi is perpetuating an age-old fallacy when monitor could only handle 72dpi. Most easily handle 200+dpi nowadays.

When you talk about a significant file size increase, I assume you are talking about the design file.
    This has no consequence to the published download.

In passing, this is what the WebP option is all about.
    You get significant image file sizes, all for the tick of a box.

96dpi + 256px - 2.9kB WebP vs 7.8kB JPG.
    72dpi + 192px - 1.7kB WebP vs 6.8kB JPG.
    Do note the trivial file size increase from 192 to 256px as JPG compression has to be factored in.

Viewing images in a browser or smartphone at 72dpi is chunky.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Pixel resolution of HTML exported files

Thanks for the tips, Acorn. I'll test them out soon.