Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Converting XBuilder Web Blocks into Xara Web Blocks

There is a chance that Michel (Xaratemplates.com) might rework his XBuilder Web Bocks so they can be used directly in the new Xara Modular Websites.
    He has a lots more WBs that Xara at present.

A thing or two to note about Xara Web Blocks:
    • When you use the Modular Website template, you have 1280px and 480px pages.

There is no option to add a third (or more) Variants.

• You add WBs to your own design with more than one Variant,
    • Xara complains and only does Main and a single Variant.
    • The formats for Xara WBs are designed for 480/1280.

If you adjust page width at any point, you have to manually readjust each WB.
    On 15 March 2023, Xara promised this would be sorted.
    Assuming you are working with a Xara Modular design and are using XBuilder WBs in an ad hoc approach, the simplest method is to drag the WB onto your design.

• This will add content to Main and Variant in a new page.
    • Next Select All on Main and use Arrange > Create Web Block.
    • Do the smae for the Variant content.
    • Now, select either new WB Green wrapper and Copy.
    • Move to your design page and Paste.
    • The XBuilder WB will appear as a Xara-wrapped Web Block at the bottom of the page.
    • Drag to its required position.

Repeat for any other XBuilder Web Blocks.
    At the end, you will have a number of pages holding the original XBuilder Web Blocks.

You could copy these to another blank Modular design and keep for re-use.
    You can even delete them as they are fairly easy to rebuild.

If you are going to make a habit of it, you could probably clone all the XBuilder folder and "web block" these, one by one, or wait for Michel.

Do note some XBuilder WBs come with a Help folder that you probably should keep hidden.
    The other difficulty is those with off-page components and old-style image filenaming.
    You need a better grasp of how Xara works to get these right so advise which one is a problem but only if you are desperate.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Converting XBuilder Web Blocks into Xara Web Blocks

I'm not using XDP+, so your post doesn't help me at this point in time but I really appreciate your directions to have XBuilder work with the new Xara Web Blocks! Also nice to know that Michel might rework his fantastic resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I'm not using XDP+, so your post doesn't help me at this point in time but I really appreciate your directions to have XBuilder work with the new Xara Web Blocks! Also nice to know that Michel might rework his fantastic resource.
    Boy, thank you. On you last comment, I was only surmising as it makes good business sense to me.

About the only trick Xara Web Blocks bring is the ability to add them directly into a design from a XAR file, adding or placing directing into the design.

Most of the rest was already possible with proper use of Soft-Group, Push, Auto-fit to Page, Live Share.
    The parallel is XDPX/XPro+'s ability to create one's own Stretchy buttons and Smart Panels. A powerful capability lost in the mists but still there.
    Web Blocks has the same type of disconnect from core Xara functions that SmartShapes also have.

For Web Blocks, the Layout group is the thing that drags the capability down as no one other than Xara is able to edit into one, force people to build their own WBs or co-opt existing cleaner solutions (XT).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    On you last comment, I was only surmising as it makes good business sense to me.
    I was referring to the part where you said, "there is a chance," assuming that you might have communicated with Michal (which is, I believe, the correct spelling) about Web Blocks. Let's hope he is motivated to take the suggested steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I was referring to the part where you said, "there is a chance," assuming that you might have communicated with Michal (which is, I believe, the correct spelling) about Web Blocks. Let's hope he is motivated to take the suggested steps.
    Boy, you are right about Michal's name (michal@xaratemplates.com & apologies); he is @Jarmoluk in TG but sadly has no PM access.

He might look in and reply.

Acorn

Just wondering has the auto push feature been fixed where as you drag items into the page, does the page extend at the bottom automatically or you still have to do this manually?
    I never used auto push because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

Do note some XBuilder WBs come with a Help folder that you probably should keep hidden.
    The other difficulty is those with off-page components and old-style image filenaming.
    You need a better grasp of how Xara works to get these right so advise which one is a problem but only if you are desperate.

Acorn
    It certainly makes good sense for xbuilder. Although I’ve learned far more about WBs by taking them apart than actually using them. Here’s what the average user of Xara pro can learn.

- relationship of repeating, live copies, clones, and sharing. How they all work together in a block format in variants.
    - smart shapes. How to make them. How to convert them.
    - themed colors, and their relationship to your present designs. Admittedly I still haven’t mastered my color picker, but it’s in the manual.
    - Acorn explains how to make your own blocks for future use.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

@acorn said … This will add content to Main and Variant in a new page.
    Next Select All on Main and use Arrange > Create Web Block.
    Do the smae for the Variant content.
    Now, select either new WB Green wrapper and Copy.
    Move to your design page and Paste.
    The XBuilder WB will appear as a Xara-wrapped Web Block at the bottom of the page.
    Drag to its required position.

Repeat for any other XBuilder Web Blocks.
    At the end, you will have a number of pages holding the original XBuilder Web Blocks.

You could copy these to another blank Modular design and keep for re-use.
    You can even delete them as they are fairly easy to rebuild.

———————————

Anyone playing with blocks save the above. I’m converting two sites to blocks at the moment. I’ll share once done. The @acorn post from the start indicates what you can do with blocks and xbuilder. Bravo. Xara I believe will add more navigation possibilities. I have not played with a blocks template yet, but the gallery portion of WBs offers many designs, enough that I can drop some unruly slide shows.
    Thanks for the initial post @acorn.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.