Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Trouble stretching and skewing images with XDP upgrade

When I upgraded from XDP16 to XDP19 I lost the the ability to stretch and skew images, and pieces of images I have cropped, using the traditional edit handles. XDP has upgraded the handles....to have different functions but now the handles move the image behind the image window as opposed to letting me edit the selected image or what I have cropped to edit. I am sure it is a new control feature or setting that will allow me to fix the image so that I can skew an stretch. I have run through numerous setting and function key combination to try and enable function....but open to suggestions.

Thanks Eric

Default Re: Trouble stretching and skewing images with XDP upgrade

first thing:

in select tool, right click on the 'lock aspect ratio' padlock icon on the info bar, and untick'smart transform'

that will probably fix it for images.. for text you may need to press alt key when you drag the text handles as well
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

..oh and one thing I forgot, on said infobar make sure that the far left button 'show selection bounds handles' is active, because when you stretch with the new handles the work differently
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did not work for me. From some other threads I have found it seems like the function may have been eliminated. Right now I am going back to my previous XDP version, stretching & skewing images and then bringing back into my current version. I use XDP to quickly post edit renderings and photos of buildings and being able to copy and stretch and skew images was a great feature.

works for me if both those things are done - it only works in the select tool though

that said I did make the registry change that you may have read about elsewhere, to revert back to the old handles as far as is possible; if you have not done this as well it may help to try it
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have moved this to Xara Graphics Chat

I think what you are referring to is the new "Smart Handles."

I have Pro+ which is developed my Xara but I think shares features with the Magix version Pro X.

As Handrawn says, make sure Smart Transform is disabled and do your stretching with the Select Tool and not the Photo Tool.

Thank you so much!. These adjustments have done the trick or taught me the new trick. Once I turned off the Smart Transform and right-clicked once on the image, the four pointed target appears on the image and when present the skew, stretch and squeeze functions operate.

you are welcome, glad it is now working for you
    Nothing lasts forever...

Eric, all you need is still there in the new application.

First read over https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara...transform.html.
    This uses the Selection Tool and actions depend on the State of Smart Transform.

When this is on, you hold down the Alt key before touching a handle. Consider the Alt key as the Stretch or Squish key.
    You have corners for scaling when the Aspect Ratio is locked and resizing when AR is off.
    When you click again on the object, the handles toggle to give your corners for rotation and middle for skewing and the fourth icon in on the Toolbar toggles.

I prefer Smart Transform to be off. Think of this as a permanent Squish or Squash.

If you double-click the image, you should get the Photo Tool.
    Now the middle handles act as if ST is set on so to Squish or Squash you use the Alt key.
    It is perverse but always Squish or Squash with the Selection Tool. Easier.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat