2 25.00%
  • LCD and CRT monitor's show no difference

0 0%
  • LCD monitor strains my eyes more

0 0%
  • I've become practically blind since buying my LCD

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was just wondering if anyone uses an LCD monitor and has seen an improvement over CRT monitor use as far as any eye strain or other visual discomfort goes. I sometimes find using the computer gives me a bit of a tense feeling around my eyes. I have adjusted everything according to what I read was the best solutions and my refresh rate is 85 Hz

Just wondering if buying an LCD monitor is an improvement in this regard.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone uses an LCD monitor and has seen an improvement over CRT monitor use as far as any eye strain or other visual discomfort goes. I sometimes find using the computer gives me a bit of a tense feeling around my eyes. I have adjusted everything according to what I read was the best solutions and my refresh rate is 85 Hz

Just wondering if buying an LCD monitor is an improvement in this regard.

My own 'vast improvement' vote may not be representative, though, given that the LCD in question is a gorgeous 18" panel, whereas my previous monitor was a ghastly 14" thing which was a bit broken and wobbled a lot. Also since the LCD isn't so big 'n' ugly it can go further back on the desk where it's not so close to my eyes.

Still, I can work on my LCD all day, which is definitely more than could be said for the 19" CRT monitor at my old employers. I'll not be buying a CRT again.

Exactly as Andrew said !

I have a 18" as well and it is one of the best investments I ever made.

My former monitor was a 17" CTR and not even a bad one. But alone the ability to move the monitor farther away from the eyes was worth the money.

And everything is so crisp and vivid ... I just LOVE this thing and I am even thinking of buying another 15" LCD to use as a second monitor. Can't think of the exact term, but you'll know what I mean: 2 Monitors on one card, one for the toolbars etc. the other one for the canvas alone ...
    Is it multiscreen ??

Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

Sometimes called dual head. Matrox makes a great graphic adapter for this, the G550.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

Well I decided to go for it so I walked up to futureshop and got a NEC 1530V 15" ( my mom bought one of these and I was on it over easter for many days and my eyes seemed to be better during that time ... this week since I've been in my place my eyes have been bugging me again). It's a tad smaller than my 19" CRT (which is really only 17.75" ... how decieving of those measurements). This 15" is about the same as a 17" CRT .

I will know over the next little while if this was a wise decision (ie ... my eyes feel better)

While I'd love to own a flat panel LCD display, as a student it's just not viable with my budget. I have made a monitor purchase recently, it was a Samsung 17" dynaflat monitor. Nice flat screen, no distortion. (Funny enough, I didn't notice it until I was running my laptop off of my previous 14" monitor...What a difference! O..O)

But yeah, the new flat panel LCD displays are great, if still a bit out of my price range. As for eyestrain, well I think this one's a bit better, but it still happens every so often.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Lothaekor

The office that I work in just got in some new systems that I helped research. I can tell you about them without bragging because I will never get to use them... I ended up accepting a job offer with a local University as webmaster and will be gone the day the new machines are set up. So I'm just telling you this so you can understand what a really cool system would look like...grin...

The computers are 2.0Ghz machines with 512mb ram. They have been modified with Appian Multi-monitor cards that support up to 4 additional monitors (that's a total of 5 when you consider the video card already installed). Of course they don't have 5 monitors installed though - only 3...

The three monitors are NEC 18.1 flat panel LCD's. They are arranged on the desktop in a slight arch giving the user about 3.5ft of horizontal desktop. You can run three different programs at the same time and have them all in view. We plan to have flash on one, Xara on one, and e-mail/Word documents on the other. The job here is to take schematics along with text instruction and turn them into interactive instructional aids. The systems also have 12x12 Wacom tablets AND Dvd burners.

Sure wish I could take mine with me...

On a side note. I discovered something exciting yesterday. Several new laptops running Windows XP have an undocumented feature called "Dualview" - search for it at google or microsoft. It allows you to attach a second monitor to the external monitor port and run a multi-monitor setup so you can have two programs visible at once. I am now thinking about getting a 17/18" LCD for my laptop since it works on mine (Sony Vaio FXA-49) running XP home edition.

Later,
    Robert

p.s. sorry for such a long post, hope you find it interesting...
    p.p.s. no more crt's for me...
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

That is..........
    That is............
    That is..............

Sickening [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Dear god, you will go home to your set up and still be drooling for the one at work.

Ho hum.........I just have to live with my little set up. I won't even embarrase myself by telling it to you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (actually it's not too bad)

Hope you have lots of fun. 12 X 12 Wacom tablets, that's a REAL slap in the face [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Sigh.......

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

The price difference between 17" and 18.1" is large, but I have some advice... GET THE 18-incher!!! Someone else told me this and, by gum, she was right. The difference seems like you have a lot more real estate, out of proportion to the the relatively small increase of just 1.1 inch. It'll run you about $1000 USD for the 18". If you do graphics, get the 18".

The eyestrain is VERY much less for me with LCD's in general. Just so much nicer. Can't say enough.

I wanted Elsa shutter glasses for viewing true 3D with an enabled card though, and found out you can't use them with LCD monitors, if that's an issue for you.