Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mobile issues

Default Re: Mobile issues

So far no one came up with a solution. So I guess the option "stretch to fit width " is completely useless, unless you compromise with the pages jumping and resizing in variants. I've spent days trying to find a solution but there isn't any, as this is just a bug and I just waste my time.
    Acorn give me some advice, which I followed to the letter but nothing worked. I even test it with a blank page with no content and still the same. STFW it does not work as intended. The other thing is baffling me is. How everybody is happy with this and actually highly recommend the "stretch to fit width" feature, when they very well know it doesn't work?

Info Re: Mobile issues

Quote Originally Posted by Andre7 View Post
    So far no one came up with a solution. So I guess the option "stretch to fit width " is completely useless, unless you compromise with the pages jumping and resizing in variants. I've spent days trying to find a solution but there isn't any, as this is just a bug and I just waste my time.
    Acorn give me some advice, which I followed to the letter but nothing worked. I even test it with a blank page with no content and still the same. STFW it does not work as intended. The other thing is baffling me is. How everybody is happy with this and actually highly recommend the "stretch to fit width" feature, when they very well know it doesn't work?
    Andre

I have created an almost blank design: Attachment 133595
    It has a Main and a Variant.
    It used different page colours and a letter (A, B).
    I included two types of Full Width shapes.

If I run this and refresh (F5) at various width, I get the most pronounced flicker at the transition between the Main and Variant, which I would expect.

In the above file, I added CSS identical to my prior (#19) but this time the transition delay is set to 16mS, around the lower frame rate of most computer browsers, 62.5Hz. This goes into the Website > Code > Head so the page is not visible immediately for the first 10mS, whereon it fades in over the next 5mS.

With my test file, I have no flicker in Preview, local Export or server-side.
    For production purposes, I would double the time repeatedly until I was in a position where I knew all my assets were fully loaded.
    I would use the browser Developer Tools > Network > [Ctrl+F5] to determine my load time for Main and Variant.

You have not advised if you are now using a Conventional Website approach.

All what you have experienced has been well-documented back to Xara when it was first featured.

When using Variants with lots of pages and content, I employ a number of methods:

1. The CSS above is a quick win.
    2. Using lazy loading is another.
    3. Avoiding transition websites with variants, a third.
    4. Reducing images, promoting meaningful content.
    5. Reducing page complexity.
    6. Spreading items over more pages.
    7. Re-using image assets by using image filenames.
    8. Adopting WebP for images.
    9. Using SVG where possible.
    10. Losing gimmicks.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Andre

I have created an almost blank design: Attachment 133595
    It has a Main and a Variant.
    It used different page colours and a letter (A, B).
    I included two types of Full Width shapes.

If I run this and refresh (F5) at various width, I get the most pronounced flicker at the transition between the Main and Variant, which I would expect.

In the above file, I added CSS identical to my prior (#19) but this time the transition delay is set to 16mS, around the lower frame rate of most computer browsers, 62.5Hz. This goes into the Website > Code > Head so the page is not visible immediately for the first 10mS, whereon it fades in over the next 5mS.

With my test file, I have no flicker in Preview, local Export or server-side.
    For production purposes, I would double the time repeatedly until I was in a position where I knew all my assets were fully loaded.
    I would use the browser Developer Tools > Network > [Ctrl+F5] to determine my load time for Main and Variant.

You have not advised if you are now using a Conventional Website approach.

All what you have experienced has been well-documented back to Xara when it was first featured.

When using Variants with lots of pages and content, I employ a number of methods:

1. The CSS above is a quick win.
    2. Using lazy loading is another.
    3. Avoiding transition websites with variants, a third.
    4. Reducing images, promoting meaningful content.
    5. Reducing page complexity.
    6. Spreading items over more pages.
    7. Re-using image assets by using image filenames.
    8. Adopting WebP for images.
    9. Using SVG where possible.
    10. Losing gimmicks.

Acorn
    Thank you so much for the quick response Acorn. I have tried most of these on your list and I realise, in order to avoid fighting the program instead using it, the only other solution is creating 3 variants. If the purpose of STFW was to help users to create less variants then this feature is completely useless. This is my opinion. I don't think we the users have to battle with CSS and other workarounds just to make a basic feature work. Thanks again Acorn for your efforts to help me and excuse my frustration but I wasted to much time on this.

Thank you so much for the quick response Acorn. I have tried most of these on your list and I realise, in order to avoid fighting the program instead using it, the only other solution is creating 3 variants. If the purpose of STFW was to help users to create less variants then this feature is completely useless. This is my opinion. I don't think we the users have to battle with CSS and other workarounds just to make a basic feature work. Thanks again Acorn for your efforts to help me and excuse my frustration but I wasted to much time on this.
    Andre, it may be 3 variants might work for you but you are then placing the scaling of your work on the smartphone/browser and ultimately the viewer as a responsive approach is really only tuned for the widths you chose.
    You are not simply a user of the product, you are a designer using a tool. Every tool has its quirks and faults. A sprinkling of CSS should be seen as a Widget and I could have presented it as a black-box without explanation. I don't see challenges for things like ECWID, where it has a genuine Xara/ECWID fail across Variants.

I think my 'widget' works and those who need it are free to use. What pleased me is there are few pure CSS solutions around on the Web, most seem to use JavaScript or jQuery, both with their own issues.
    Further, Xara in delivering its new Modular Websites, seems to have gone partway into accommodating the flashing around StFW by setting up Fade Ins for most of its Web Blocks. rather than use my CSS approach, you might try selecting everything on the page (without current Web Animations) and using Reveal > Fad in instead. No CSS, just Xara's in-built JavaScript functions.

Workarounds are a designer's privilege and Xara's technical backlog.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I am going to try the fade approach Acorn and see how it goes. I would like to thank you once again for taking the time with me and for your patience. I love Xara and all those little challenges , as frustrating as they are make the program more exciting. Thanks again. I feel a bit wiser after our chat

I am going to try the fade approach Acorn and see how it goes. I would like to thank you once again for taking the time with me and for your patience. I love Xara and all those little challenges , as frustrating as they are make the program more exciting. Thanks again. I feel a bit wiser after our chat
    Andre, here is the publish link for my test file: https://shared.xara.com/6KTC5rSem3.

Acorn

Andre, here is the publish link for my test file: https://shared.xara.com/6KTC5rSem3.

Acorn
    Thank you Acorn. Any chance you can send me the xar file of this so I can see and recreate the steps you took? Looking good and will be thrilled if I can apply this to my website. Thanks again

Thank you Acorn. Any chance you can send me the xar file of this so I can see and recreate the steps you took? Looking good and will be thrilled if I can apply this to my website. Thanks again
    Andre, here you go: CCS - Flicker Check.xar.

Acorn

Andre, here you go: CCS - Flicker Check.xar.

Acorn
    This is awesome. I don't know what i do without your help. Thanks a million