Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Printing with Xara

For years I have been saving my work and then exporting it as a PNG/JPG then printing it with another program.
    I would like to print out of Xara, but when I try often times the image partly off the page.
    I have tried many different settings to no avail.
    So how can I get the image to center up?

Xara P&G 15.0.0.52382

Any and all answers dumb or otherwise appreciated

Bad Brad

Default Re: Printing with Xara

Let me offer you a dumb reply. ;-) I always use my printer's settings, not Xara's. To do so, I click 'Printer' in the Xara Print dialog and in the Print Setup window that opens, I select Properties and take it from there. I also select Print Preview as one of the options.

ok could also be dumb, but you are making sure that all of your image[s] are within the printable area

if you go to the program window menu you can select 'show print borders' which will give you the boundaries for your current active printer setup
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

if the images are larger, then you can reduce their size to fit in the workspace [maybe use a copy of your xar file for this] or you can use custom fit in the program print options and reduce the scale percentage... but that is a bit seat of the pants unless you work out the required reduction mathematically...
    Nothing lasts forever...

In the print dialog, click Options and then in the Print Options dialog, check Actual Size.

This should work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Printing.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	133546  

Gary, that option is not in P&G 15 - that said it may be the equivalent of 'automatic fit'

as I read the question though, printing at actual size would not solve the issue of it not printing the complete image
    Nothing lasts forever...

BB, I only have v10 to play with.

Can we assume you are working with a Print or Blank Photo document?
    If you are using a Web/Presentation document and then Previewing, any print will be why the browser has visible. I shall discount this.

As @handrawn says, use Window > Show Print Borders.

The next thing you need to do is check Page Size against Print Options.
    It makes sense to print to the size of your physical sheet of paper - US letter, A4, etc.
    Xara is clever as it knows to print sideways but is is best to first tell it your paper size explicitly in File > Page Options > Paper size.
    If you then try to Print, you should see Automatic fit OK.

You are now in a better position to hijack the settings and manually adjust margins and scale to meet your needs.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Gary, that option is not in P&G 15 - that said it may be the equivalent of 'automatic fit'
    My experience with automatic fit is it resizes the image to fit the printed page. So if the image is 5 x 7" and the paper is standard US 8.5 x 11" it will print to the live area of the page.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-04-10 15_50_27-Xara Designer Pro X - [Untitled1 _].png 
Views:	43 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	133547

'one page partly hidden by print borders' ...

it does what you say if the object is smaller than the page area, but not if it is larger...? [or overlaps]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Automatic Fit does specifically say 100% in the scale box ... that changes to 96% if switched to Best Fit on my system. So it's at least trying to print 100%
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.