Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Error message when uploading website?

Hi, I'm changing to a new web host because the one I've been using for many years increased their price more than double last month with no advance warning.

So I found a new host and I want to get my site up and running before I get another monthly charge from my old host at the end of this month.

It's probably been over a year since I've updated my site, so I'm rusty with Xara. I put in my new info that the new host gave me to FTP my site up to them. One of the previous versions of Xara Web Designer Premium gave me problems uploading a site directly from inside Xara, so I had to save the website as HTML files and then used FileZilla to upload. Then I got the current version (along with a new computer) and figured I'd try to upload right from Xara and it worked.

I made a couple small changes (updated the years I've been in business, and also for some reason, one of my pages in the mobile variant had some photos overlapping text, which I didn't think it was like that before, but I looked on my phone and they are overlapping. So I fixed that). And then I renamed and saved my Xara file with a new name for the new updated version. When I try to upload the website, Xara goes through a 3 step process - something like "preparing files", "converting files", and then "uploading files".

When it gets to the "uploading files" part I get an error message and I don't know what to do. Here's the message:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Error.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	133739

Does it mean it can't find the "index_html_files" folder in MY computer or on the SERVER for my website. I thought Xara put everything in place as needed. My new web host lets me preview my website once uploaded and it is showing something, but it's the version before I made the changes to years in business and overlap of photos/text. Plus I'm not sure where the actual files are on their server. I have to talk to them to check that I'm uploading to the correct place, I guess. I don't know.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Error message when uploading website?

I can only suggest Ctrl + F5 to force a reload on the page which often solves the issue of not seeing your most recent changes. I am not sure about the error message. Xara does upload all the necessary files and folders.

Try closing Xara then reopening and publishing again.

Default Re: Error message when uploading website?

Hi Marky, most web server hosts require you to upload your files to the public_html folder. Your htm (or html) pages will be uploaded into that folder and it will also create/open a sub folder named index_html_files which contains all the image, css, js files etc.

I don't know why yours can't open this file. Perhaps it's because you're not publishing it to the correct folder in the first place. You say you've used an ftp program in the past. Try this again to see if you can find where the files are being published too.

Here's my root directory set-up (You may need Connect to FTP if your server isn't secure)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	133744  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host