Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Go back to the previous tab

Google Translate

Hello

Is there any command or way to "return to the previous url"?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Go back to the previous tab

that is under the control of the user's browser I would have thought...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

you can link back to a specific url of course, but it is the browser that keeps track of the browsing history....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by rhdpre07 View Post
    Google Translate

Is there any command or way to "return to the previous url"?
    It depends on what you mean by "previous url." If it's within the same website, the answer is yes; if the current page is not part of your website, the answer is no. In that case, as handrawn already mentioned, it's up to the visitor to click the browser back arrow.

true - I took it as outside of the website ie a TLD...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I would try a button with a Link, javascript: history.back();, which is the same as clicking "Back" your browser.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'm not qualified to say how effectve that would be, but I wonder why you would want to do it; if by any chance it did not do what was wanted, and a broswer back button does not always, then you would be introducing an issue into the website rather than it being 'the browsers's fault' ...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I would try a button with a Link, javascript: history.back();, which is the same as clicking "Back" your browser.
    Assuming that said link would be on a webpage under one's direct control. And if that's the case, why not include the navbar?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'm not qualified to say how effectve that would be, but I wonder why you would want to do it; if by any chance it did not do what was wanted, and a broswer back button does not always, then you would be introducing an issue into the website rather than it being 'the browsers's fault' ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Assuming that said link would be on a webpage under one's direct control. And if that's the case, why not include the navbar?
    A real-world case is you have a form in your site on its own page. If you have a Variant, the form on Main and Variant is not the same instantiation and in some cases cannot be accessed by one or the other.

You choose to jump to the form from within the site or as a fully-qualified URL from an another discrete site or even as a link in an email...

You complete or cancel the form. If you close the page, you cannot use the browser Back to return to where you were.
    You might have the smarts to undo the closed page and then Back out of it to where you started.
    The designer might have forced you into a new Tab so you are in the clear.
    In linking from an email, there is no Back.

Accessing the browser history and it back() method allows you to return to your launch page where you accessed the form.
    Xara designs are stateless so you have to rely on the browser history.

Sites where the back feature fails are usually playing a carousel or have specific code to interfere with the Back feature.
    A stand-alone form has no need for either.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

thanks for that explanation acorn
    Nothing lasts forever...