Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default reinstalling Xara

I've been using Xara for many years. I'm trying to install the program on a new computer and can't seem to get it out of a trial mode. I've downloaded the program on the new computer and in the upper right corner there's a button that says "upgrade" but I can't seem to find where I can just register the trial edition and get it to work normally. I must have installed Xara well over a dozen times on various computers and don't remember ever having such a problem. Also, I notice that the icon is different - it's now a stylized "X" but on my other machine it's still the purple square with a kind of black arrow. If what I downloaded now is a newer version, shouldn't my other computer give me a notice to upgrade? The "old" version is Pro X 18.0.0.61642; the newly installed is Pro+ 23.0.1.66316. I no longer subscribe to Xara's update service, the software I've been using serves me perfectly well for all the work I ask of it - which involves essentially daily use.

Default Re: reinstalling Xara

you have installed the wrong version

you need to download the version from magix site, not the version from xara site - they are now different program streams

in a nutshell, the magix continues as before, but the xara now designated 'pro+' is a subscription service
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

just to make that distinction clearer - the magix continues with an 'update service' that you are familiar with, that you do not have to update if you are happy to stick at your current version

the pro+ however you have to update or you lose it; the upside to the pro+ is that it is kept up to date regularly, which the magix is not...
    Last edited by handrawn; 31 March 2023 at 12:51 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks! Ever since the introduction of Magix these various boundaries have confused me but I've got the correct program running now - thank you. I long for the "old days" when Xara was Xara. I've been a Xara user since Corel, and for a while I used Illustrator but fact is that Xara has always done what I want it to do without the added stuff of Illustrator.

you are welcome, I am glad that you have it installed correctly now

yes, it's confusing, but when you get the program working it is aways worth it
    Nothing lasts forever...