Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: The Glass Xara

Well, I finally finished the Glass Xara Tutorial on my Trial Version. It was pretty hard for me as I am only used to cutting and pasting stuff, I am not an artist, and I didn't know the program either (well I know it now better than I did before I started). Anyway, somewhere along the lines I missed a couple of things, and couldn't pull off a couple of more things (don't know if it was me or the bugs). Then, when I was all done, (at least to my satisfaction) and I tried to export...it wouldn't do it. The program kept faulting on me. BUMMER..So the question is...do ya think it's because I am on a trial version, or is it a fault and, if it's a fault, then maybe I shouldn't buy XARA right now?

http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/ashley.jpg

Well, I finally finished the Glass Xara Tutorial on my Trial Version. It was pretty hard for me as I am only used to cutting and pasting stuff, I am not an artist, and I didn't know the program either (well I know it now better than I did before I started). Anyway, somewhere along the lines I missed a couple of things, and couldn't pull off a couple of more things (don't know if it was me or the bugs). Then, when I was all done, (at least to my satisfaction) and I tried to export...it wouldn't do it. The program kept faulting on me. BUMMER..So the question is...do ya think it's because I am on a trial version, or is it a fault and, if it's a fault, then maybe I shouldn't buy XARA right now?

DM

Can you be more specific as to what problems you are having with the tutorial?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

OK, I will try to be more specific.

1. In trying to EXPORT (and this is the biggie)
    I got all my buttons going and went for the export, selected, export, named it, bla bla bla.
    Then it comes up with

SERIOUS ERROR
    Floating point exception at offset 0x0037DFB3

Then the whole flippin' program goes out

2. On the Buttons: (These were just really frustating to pull off)
    a. Dragging down the ruler line was frustrating, after about 10 attempts, I finally got the red dotted line (and I still don't know what I did to get it)
    b. Took about 1 hour to hold my tongue right on the separation, both blocking it out (and I ended up diverting from your instructions on this to pull it off, maybe you left something out, like make a rectangle?)and selecting.
    c. Multiple selectings was really difficult. I never knew if I had everything selected or not until I actually tried to subtract, then I would know. It took FOREVER, and is just too unnerving to try again (but a cool move nonetheless).
    d. On the Navbar tool, (really nice BTW) it just wouldn't work as long as I had a check in the "Make BackBar from backmost object". As soon as I unchecked it, it worked. Don't know if it was because maybe I didn't have a backmost object or because it just didn't work right.

So, these were just the highlights of my frustrations, the rest, I am sure is mostly because I didn't read the instructions right, or I missed a step, or something. If I can ever bet this blasted thing exported, I will show you my results. It may make you proud done by a non-artist, etc.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

you are using the EXPORT button on the Status Bar and not the one in the Name Gallery. I made this mistake initially. I think, but haven't verified, that this is one of the bugs addressed in the just released Patch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.gif 
Views:	415 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	5011  

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> OK, I will try to be more specific.
    1. In trying to EXPORT (and this is the biggie)
    I got all my buttons going and went for the export, selected, export, named it, bla bla bla.
    Then it comes up with

SERIOUS ERROR
    Floating point exception at offset 0x0037DFB3

Then the whole flippin' program goes out <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a bug that caused this sometimes that has been addressed by the latest patch (2.0). The patch however only works with the installed disc version and not on the trial copy.

Ric may also have answered your question.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 2. On the Buttons: (These were just really frustating to pull off)
    a. Dragging down the ruler line was frustrating, after about 10 attempts, I finally got the red dotted line (and I still don't know what I did to get it) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple really, you drag downward (from the top ruler) or to the right (from the left ruler) onto the page. Hold down the mouse button and pull the guideline from the rulers. Once on the page, you can drag the guidelines to any other place on the screen. You can delete them by either dragging them back to the ruler, right clicking on a guideline and selecting Delete from the pop-up menu, or by right clicking on the ruler and selecting Delete all Guidelines from the pop up menu. I know this seems like rocket science but once you have learned it, it will stay with you forever.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> b. Took about 1 hour to hold my tongue right on the separation, both blocking it out (and I ended up diverting from your instructions on this to pull it off, maybe you left something out, like make a rectangle?)and selecting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

??? I'm not authorized to give instructions on tongue holding in this conference.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> c. Multiple selectings was really difficult. I never knew if I had everything selected or not until I actually tried to subtract, then I would know. It took FOREVER, and is just too unnerving to try again (but a cool move nonetheless).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is where the Status Bar in the lower left hand corner comes in handly. If you have two items selected, it will say so on the status bar. If you have two outlines, or two groups, or whatever, it will tell you this.

TIP: to see if you have selected all of what you inteneded to select, press the Delete key on your keyboard. If everything disappears you have succeeded. (Select Undo from the Edit menu to undo the delete).

You can multiple select items by holding down the Shift key on your keyboard while you click. You can also marquee select objects by dragging a rectangle around them with the Selector Tool (the arrow). Sometimes it is easier to multiple select by turning the View Quality setting to Outline (Window > Quality > Outline). You can also use the View Quality slider on the Infobar.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> d. On the Navbar tool, (really nice BTW) it just wouldn't work as long as I had a check in the "Make BackBar from backmost object". As soon as I unchecked it, it worked. Don't know if it was because maybe I didn't have a backmost object or because it just didn't work right. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect the reason for this is not all the non-button objects were grouped. I think I said to select all the glass text and bar thingies and group them. Then when you have created your buttons, and selected the buttons, button text (not grouped with the buttons) and the grouped objects for the back bar by dragging a rectangle around the entire group using the Button and Navbar Tool, and checking Make Backbar from Backmost Object, then everything should work.

That help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

OK, I am going to try it again. Hey, why didn't I see that left hand status bar before...go figure, might have saved me about 5 hours of rum.

Well then, back to the old drawing board...er..all puns intended.

OK, Now I know why I didn't see the status bar..and you are right, it just cleared up all kinds of mysteries for me...but I had my screen set to full and, for some reason (I believe it is in my computer settings), the bottom row gets hidden in full screen.

Hmmmm..wonder what other little goodies I've been missing?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]