Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: A Simple Ask

Lightbulb A Simple Ask

Dear Xara...

...something that would promote design productivity is the addition of a right-click context menu option of 'Locate' or Shortcut Key.
    This should open the Layer & Gayer gallery, switch to Layer mode, enabling the Locate button.
    The outcome would be the selected shape or group would be highlighted in the P&LG.

Those with XDPX/XPro+ can assign a Key Shortcut for 'Locate selection'; I use 'C'.

The advantage is it saves opening the P&LG with 'F10'. Unfortunately, this is a toggle that also returns the P&LG to a side position of the main design window; I keep mine detached.
    With the F10 opening of the P&LG, you are set to Pages mode.
    To get to Locate mode, you have to very carefully click the 'Click to see objects inside' arrow. If you double-click to open, you lose the selection.
    Finally, you can click the Locate button.

ENHANCEMENTS
    1. I note 'Locate selection' does nothing when in Layers mode; it ought to be a toggle action.
    2. As Pages, Layers and Locate are all modes, they ought to be shown from all open modes anyhow.
    3. There is only the 'Locate selection' command, none for Pages or Layers.
    4. In passing, the P&LG Properties button ought to consolidate the attributes/properties of the selection rather than just open Web Properties. Now that would be something.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: A Simple Ask

i use classic keys; I have 'L' assigned to locate selection and I find it very useful along with the gallery locate button

I note 'Locate selection' does nothing when in Layers mode; it ought to be a toggle action.
    not sure what you mean by this - it seems to work ok for me...

4. In passing, the P&LG Properties button ought to consolidate the attributes/properties of the selection rather than just open Web Properties. Now that would be something.
    +1
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lightbulb Re: A Simple Ask

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    not sure what you mean by this - it seems to work ok for me... +1
    It would be nice to have a window showing an object's:
    • Font, Size, Style, Decoration, Colours, ...
    • Dimensions, Angle, ...
    • Line width, ...
    • Fill, ...
    • Transparency, ...
    • Sticky/Stetchy, ...
    • Animation, ...

Basically, all in one place to avoid having to hunt around.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

yes I'm with and all for that...

it was the first quote in my post that i was querying, sorry if that was not clear: if the locate button in the gallery is off the 'locate selection' shortcut seems to work fine for me; if the locate button is active, then do you need to use the 'locate selection' shortcut as well?
    Nothing lasts forever...

yes I'm with and all for that...
    it was the first quote in my post that i was querying, sorry if that was not clear: if the locate button in the gallery is off the 'locate selection' shortcut seems to work fine for me; if the locate button is active, then do you need to use the 'locate selection' shortcut as well?
    @handrawn, got it!

It is for user expectation and consistency.

Put two objects in separate, visible Layers. Unselect all. Close both Layers.

Click the current Locate button.
    You can now click on either and the Layer with expand with the object selected.

Do the same again with the Locate button Off.
    Use your Shortcut key for 'Locate selection'.
    It is only keyed to that selection.
    If you click on the other shape, it does not 'locate' until you press the Locate button or your shortcut key.

Basically, 'Locate selection' is not the same function as Locate button On.

Acorn

ah - so you are saying the 'locate selection' shortcut function should persist until clicked again - but is that not the same function as the toggle button on the gallery ?

for me the nice thing about the 'toggle selection' is that it does not persist

if I only want to locate once, with the toggle button I have to then go back and switch it off otherwise the gallery will reorder itself to the new selection, not usually what I want - with the 'toggle selection' I do not get this problem
    Nothing lasts forever...

ah - so you are saying the 'locate selection' shortcut function should persist until clicked again - but is that not the same function as the toggle button on the gallery ?
    for me the nice thing about the 'toggle selection' is that it does not persist
    if I only want to locate once, with the toggle button I have to then go back and switch it off otherwise the gallery will reorder itself to the new selection, not usually what I want - with the 'toggle selection' I do not get this problem
    @handrawn, agreed. We have differing priorities. I use the P&LG as a confirmation that I have the right object in the right layer.

If I move a shape into another layer, I want the layer to open and show where the shape is in that layer. It will be on top, which is not always where I may need it.

I can manage with a shortcut key and then Locate button. You are the lucky winner in this case.
    It highlights the deficiency of there not be a 'Toggle Locate' as a Command.
    The deficiency of not being able to jump into the P&LG at Pages, Layer or Locate expanded is the actual issue.

Acorn

It will be on top, which is not always where I may need it
    this can be a major issue with me, but it seems to be the way the program works

For instance I would prefer 'paste replacing selection' to paste at the same stack position as the replaced selection - then following on you could also have 'paste above/below stack position' - would work just like replace selection except instead of replacing the selection, the object is pasted immediately above/below the selection in the stack
    Nothing lasts forever...