Dear Xara...

...something that would promote design productivity is the addition of a right-click context menu option of 'Locate' or Shortcut Key.
This should open the Layer & Gayer gallery, switch to Layer mode, enabling the Locate button.
The outcome would be the selected shape or group would be highlighted in the P&LG.

Those with XDPX/XPro+ can assign a Key Shortcut for 'Locate selection'; I use 'C'.

The advantage is it saves opening the P&LG with 'F10'. Unfortunately, this is a toggle that also returns the P&LG to a side position of the main design window; I keep mine detached.
With the F10 opening of the P&LG, you are set to Pages mode.
To get to Locate mode, you have to very carefully click the 'Click to see objects inside' arrow. If you double-click to open, you lose the selection.
Finally, you can click the Locate button.

ENHANCEMENTS
  1. I note 'Locate selection' does nothing when in Layers mode; it ought to be a toggle action.
  2. As Pages, Layers and Locate are all modes, they ought to be shown from all open modes anyhow.
  3. There is only the 'Locate selection' command, none for Pages or Layers.
  4. In passing, the P&LG Properties button ought to consolidate the attributes/properties of the selection rather than just open Web Properties. Now that would be something.

Acorn