Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    208

    Default Design Gallery Search

    I use Xara Designer Pro+ 23.0.1.66316 SL x64 Mar 16 2023.

    Selecting a folder in the Design Gallery used to open up the DG in the cloud where I could perform a search for a graphic or such. Now, it displays the folder content but no, apparent, way to search. It might be part of all the new updates. How do I search a Design Gallery folder?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    16,975

    Default Re: Design Gallery Search

    Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    I use Xara Designer Pro+ 23.0.1.66316 SL x64 Mar 16 2023.
    Selecting a folder in the Design Gallery used to open up the DG in the cloud where I could perform a search for a graphic or such. Now, it displays the folder content but no, apparent, way to search. It might be part of all the new updates. How do I search a Design Gallery folder? Thanks.
    Dan, Xara dropped its internal design search as far back as v11 when it removed the Find option.

    All your templates and design components sit in your local cache and come with PNG previews.
    I use Everything with a top level search of C:\Users\<<username>>\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro Sub\Sub\Cache\designs\eng\ .xar|.png.

    I actually use ".xar|.png %localappdata% \sub\cache".
    This returns 35,600 items so I refine by sub-folder and possible name to get to a manageable subset.
    Add modular\ and you have the new Web Blocks content.

    A hover shows where in the tree the item sits.
    I just then drag the .xar to the design page.

    Using Windows alone is very slow and hard to search with.

    Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 18 March 2023 at 06:24 PM.
    Acorn - installed and active Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+, XDPXv18 , XWDPv12/v15, XPGDv10, X3D7, Xara Xtreme 5, and others back through time (to CC's Artworks).
    Technical remediation and consultancy for your web designs. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Design Gallery Search

    Built-in search feature of Windows Explorer. You can search for files with the extensions ".xar" and ".png" in the Xara Designer Pro+ installation directory, which is typically located in "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro+".

    To do this, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Xara Designer Pro+ installation directory. Then, in the search box in the top right corner of the window, type in ".xar OR .png" (without quotes) and press enter. Windows will search for all files with the ".xar" or ".png" extension in that directory and its subfolders.

    Once the search results are displayed, you can refine the results by using the search tools in Windows Explorer. For example, you can sort the results by date modified or file size to quickly locate the files you need.

    Another option is to use a dedicated file search tool, such as Agent Ransack or Everything, which can provide more advanced search capabilities and faster search results. These tools allow you to search for files based on their name, size, date, and other attributes, and they can also search for text inside files.

    Using Windows Explorer or a dedicated file search tool can be a more efficient way to search for design components in Xara Designer Pro+ than relying on the Design Gallery search feature.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    16,975

    Default Re: Design Gallery Search

    Quote Originally Posted by inardan View Post
    Built-in search feature of Windows Explorer. You can search for files with the extensions ".xar" and ".png" in the Xara Designer Pro+ installation directory, which is typically located in "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro+".
    To do this, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Xara Designer Pro+ installation directory. Then, in the search box in the top right corner of the window, type in ".xar OR .png" (without quotes) and press enter. Windows will search for all files with the ".xar" or ".png" extension in that directory and its subfolders.
    Once the search results are displayed, you can refine the results by using the search tools in Windows Explorer. For example, you can sort the results by date modified or file size to quickly locate the files you need.
    Another option is to use a dedicated file search tool, such as Agent Ransack or Everything, which can provide more advanced search capabilities and faster search results. These tools allow you to search for files based on their name, size, date, and other attributes, and they can also search for text inside files.
    Using Windows Explorer or a dedicated file search tool can be a more efficient way to search for design components in Xara Designer Pro+ than relying on the Design Gallery search feature.
    inardan, might I be reading this all as a ChapGPT response? It seems to cover the question but is wrong.
    Your path might find the .xar basefiles and one .web.
    There is no Design Gallery search any more.
    XAR/WEB files do not have a suitable text component.

    More than happy to hear back from you.

    Acorn
    Acorn - installed and active Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+, XDPXv18 , XWDPv12/v15, XPGDv10, X3D7, Xara Xtreme 5, and others back through time (to CC's Artworks).
    Technical remediation and consultancy for your web designs. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Design Gallery Search

    You are correct that Xara Designer Pro+ no longer has a built-in search feature for the Design Gallery.

    As you mentioned, XAR and WEB files do not have a suitable text component that can be searched, so using a search tool that can search based on file type and location, such as Everything or Windows Explorer, may be the best way to locate the files you need.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    16,975

    Default Re: Design Gallery Search

    Quote Originally Posted by inardan View Post
    You are correct that Xara Designer Pro+ no longer has a built-in search feature for the Design Gallery.

    As you mentioned, XAR and WEB files do not have a suitable text component that can be searched, so using a search tool that can search based on file type and location, such as Everything or Windows Explorer, may be the best way to locate the files you need.
    I appear to be in an echo chamber. Using Windows search is all but useless in terms of speed and versatility.

    Your initial search path is not viable.
    Do you actually have XPro+?
    What are the filenames for the 'table' Web blocks or the catindex.txt content for these?

    Acorn
    Acorn - installed and active Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+, XDPXv18 , XWDPv12/v15, XPGDv10, X3D7, Xara Xtreme 5, and others back through time (to CC's Artworks).
    Technical remediation and consultancy for your web designs. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •