Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Modular Websites

Quote Originally Posted by WebDeb View Post
    Was curious earlier how to get the new web blocks. I have the update service. No update. The link just wants me to now buy more even though I have Xara Designer Pro X and update service? I don't have the new sizes? It sounds like I maybe don't want it from all the comments.
    This has been confusing to me with the teaser email to say there is a new update coming.
    Is the free trial version how everyone is experimenting with it?
    Thanks
    If you don't have any Xara Plus product then this new set of components is not for you, yet.
    You can download a trial of Xara Pro+, which has this update.
    If you perhaps have a free Xara Cloud account, you may have got the email.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I’m looking forward to seeing what this means for variants. My belief over the years is that phone viewing is never the same as tablet and laptop viewing and I’ve designed separate phone pages from some of the elements on the larger ones.
    This has become rather tedious now I’ve taken on some new accounts.
    I’m hoping that a web block in one variant will be responsive in another variant. This has been possible in the past, but we all know that the amount of text in a larger variant, is edited for phone variant.
    I’m hoping that a web block can be edited and paired down for mobile viewing.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Well I got the email announcment today. At the bottom it says has a statment that implies WebBlocks will be an extra charge. Am I interputing this correcctly? If so, how much? (i don't use xara for websites anymore, so don't guess it really matters)
    "
    This includes an exclusive 20% lifetime discount until we publicly launch on March 27th."

Quote Originally Posted by onlye View Post
    Well I got the email announcment today. At the bottom it says has a statment that implies WebBlocks will be an extra charge. Am I interputing this correcctly? If so, how much? (i don't use xara for websites anymore, so don't guess it really matters) "Exclusive 20% lifetime discount until we publicly launch on March 27th"
    Xara is talking about its Plus products. You were probably targeted as you do not have them. It is not an extra charge, it is a shift to Xara's subscription for the Plus range. Magix have not updated v19 for an aeon so you might be fortunate that the Update Service will then have Web Block after 27 March coming.

Don't hold your breath.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Xara is talking about its Plus products. You were probably targeted as you do not have them. It is not an extra charge, it is a shift to Xara's subscription for the Plus range. Magix have not updated v19 for an aeon so you might be fortunate that the Update Service will then have Web Block after 27 March coming.

Don't hold your breath.

Acorn
    Thanks I do use the Plus version since just over a year ago. Guess since I have a standard license (without subscription) I am still on the email list. Thanks for the clarification.
    WebBlocks - Good Idea, hope that get it worked out.

Late to the party. Is this Block thing same as X Builder? Also does it have contact form and e-commerce solution?

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Late to the party. Is this Block thing same as X Builder? Also does it have contact form and e-commerce solution?
    behzad, no, it is not XBuilder-like. Think discrete units of text/images/widgets that can be dropped onto the page and moved up or down and the Variant version follows suit.
    You have to knife and fork into the Web Block to perform what I would call basic Xara functions other than text or image changes.

If the specific wrapper, Layout, was accessible to end-users then I would be far happier.
    You have a collection of objects that may or may not be put into a Layout group (by Xara) and in turn put into a WebBlock Group by Xara on the end-user.
    Mostly fine for naïve users who may only need a 480px Variant.
    I usually work 640/720 so so the Layout, while it fits, is skewed to the side.

Xara still only generates statis HTML sites so if you want anything with state or server-side, you are still looking at third-party widgets.

Acorn

Thank you for the explanation. So from my assumption it seems xbuilder is better and far ahead of Blocks.

I’m finding it quite useful for headers and footers. It does hero images well. It’s a good edition to the Pro+ tool box.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

So. Web Blocks. Selected the entire block. Ungrouped. And … no resize handles. I realize you don’t use them this way, but one should be able to resize them no?
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design