Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Modular Websites

acorn, who is good at these things, has some points here:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...s-Wrapper-Hell

me I thought the whole idea of modular blocks was that you didn't need to change them fundamentaly, it was more like top level widgets [cf wordpress]

but maybe I'm wrong, perhaps it is just the same old stuff in a new wrapper....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Web Blocks - Wrapper Hell

Hi Acorn, thanks for the info. I can reproduce the issue. its related to smart layouts and has been logged. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    acorn, who is good at these things, has some points here:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...s-Wrapper-Hell

me I thought the whole idea of modular blocks was that you didn't need to change them fundamentaly, it was more like top level widgets [cf wordpress]

but maybe I'm wrong, perhaps it is just the same old stuff in a new wrapper....
    That's what I thought too 'handrawn' but obviously I was wrong

I have merged Andre's later Thread with this one as the topics are identical.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Andre7 View Post
    I don't try to create my own block. Just try to modify an existing one. But that seems impossible. Can't resize images or anything else. Resize handles are not there. If I resize the page nothing fits . I have to stick with 1280 and 480 mobile. Of course I can do all these manually by ungrouping etc.. but what is the point of that? The implementation of the feature I feel it hasn't be thought thoroughly. Good idea but needs more work . For now I just stick with the good old xara.
    Andre, at present a Layout Group seems to be used solely by Xara to preserve a SmartShape design. This is well and good if you are delivering a Chart but seems to fail us if there are several objects that you would naturally re-arrange in your own design.

I view the Xara Layout Group to equate to a custom Soft Group; one that is immutable.
    This is wrong hatted and needs to have a mechanism for adjustment.
    A Layout ought to respond to a page width change.

The WebBlock (WB) can be seen as a smart wrapper.
    For Modular Websites > Web blocks > Dividers & Spacers > 1.2.3. Spacers do not have any Layout (i.e. content) but this can be added and the height is adjusted for all to fit.
    This is great for pushing down lower content and great for moving amongst other WBs.
    What does not happen is the content to be copied into the corresponding Variant WebBlock.

The other approach seems to be to create content, share with variants then select and use Arrange > Create Web block.
    You then have to create it in the variant.

For adjustment, you can use Arrange > Ungroup Web block, make changes and Create web block as above all over again.

Unfortunately, with 7. Contact (mailerlite) and other WBs with embedded objects, you cannot use Open Web Block you have to use Ungroup Web Block.
    Actually, using Ungroup is the exact same mechanism.

I would never use a 480px Variant.
    Luckily, you can use you own page size and drop the Blank website template onto the page.
    I use 1440px.
    The you can create a Variant. I use 720px.
    The corresponding WBs are created.
    You still have to move blobs around as covered above.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I have merged Andre's later Thread with this one as the topics are identical.

Acorn
    Thank you Acorn for notice my thread and all your useful comments to xara devs. Much better than I try to explain. Benefit all of us. Thanks again

Got an email last week to watch for special announcment on Monday, but then no email announcement on Monday. So guess this is it? Web Blocks? Is this the Xbuilder from https://xaratemplates.com/x-builder/ that Xara has included and implmented? I used Xbuilder when I was still doing websites with Xara. It was/is a nice product.

Quote Originally Posted by onlye View Post
    Got an email last week to watch for special announcment on Monday, but then no email announcement on Monday. So guess this is it? Web Blocks? Is this the Xbuilder from https://xaratemplates.com/x-builder/ that Xara has included and implmented? I used Xbuilder when I was still doing websites with Xara. It was/is a nice product.
    No it's not really XBuilder as the WebBlocks remain as a unit and when you move them in one Variant, this is reflected. When you alter one...

Acorn

Was curious earlier how to get the new web blocks. I have the update service. No update. The link just wants me to now buy more even though I have Xara Designer Pro X and update service? I don't have the new sizes? It sounds like I maybe don't want it from all the comments.
    This has been confusing to me with the teaser email to say there is a new update coming.
    Is the free trial version how everyone is experimenting with it?
    Thanks

Webdeb,

It sounds like you have Designer Pro X 19 desk top version. This web blocks is in Xara Designer Pro + subscription package and has not made it to the desk top version. My guess it will probably be a year before this makes it into the desk top version.

Ray