Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to create (guide)lines that meet atvanishing point out of the screen?

Hello to all,

I try to create the icon like this the correct way...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-03-07_143611.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	133454

I did compose the image from the freely available SVG icon https://uxwing.com/box-icon/ The width of the stroke is not created by the line thickness (causing problems with buts and caps). All is drawn with no-width line as a complex shape like this:

Name:	2023-03-07_144605.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	133455

The box uses two vanishing points. Because of that, putting two boxes together looks strange.

I would like to draw it from scratch. And I would like to learn how to work with vanishing points in Xara. My idea was to get the original cube and use the Guidelines layer to add lines that join in the two vanishing points. However, the vanishing point is quite far from the picture and it goes out of the page and even too up, out of the page stripe.

What is the correct approach?

Thanks and have a nice day,
    Petr

P.S. I did Arrange -- Combine shapes -- Add shapes to put the two copies of the original together. Then I did remove the extra points that should not be there. I have to say, I should also search for the correct way to remove the extra points. Would that be the a good question on its own?
    Last edited by pepr; 07 March 2023 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Adding P.S. with the skeleton of the related question.

Default Re: How to create (guide)lines that meet atvanishing point out of the screen?

I'd put the vanishing points on the sheet where you need them (on the guideline layer), then draw the boxes small in the middle to the correct proportion, and the size them up as the last operation.

It's not the two vanishing points that makes them look strange, they are just not correct ... The angle between the boxes should increase not decrease.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: How to create (guide)lines that meet atvanishing point out of the screen?

Why not using the Isometric Grid?

Name:	Isometric grid.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	133456

I was thinking about that. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    It's not the two vanishing points that makes them look strange, they are just not correct ... The angle between the boxes should increase not decrease.
    Here I think we are on the same base. The problem is that the single box is drawn using two vanishing points. It is not correct to add the second only by copying with any offset. The reason is that after that there are actually four "vanishing" points. The related ones are not aligned. This is the reason for the strange angles.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    Why not using the Isometric Grid?

Name:	Isometric grid.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	133456
    This is rather nice comment, indeed! (Actually, I do not need the vanishing-point look for the icons.)

Thanks.
    Last edited by pepr; 07 March 2023 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo

Depends whether you really want a perspective or an isometric. There's a big difference.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Depends whether you really want a perspective or an isometric. There's a big difference.
    I know this. But for the constrction it can be easier. Then you can do every deformation you need.

This was a fun task. Here's my attempt. If anyone wants to know how I did it I'll be happy to do a tutorial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	133475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export-2.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	133476  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@Egg Bramhill: This is nice -- also the shades of blue on the first picture. I do not know if the tutorial is not too time-consuming. Anyway, could you write the approach in bullets?