Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: How to create a seamless pattern from a seamless tile?

lines - yes it's an anti-alias thing - best to work in open GL - or in xara in 'full colour' view quality if you want to avoid it - that is not a bug, it is a consequence of how renderers work - I can make it work that way without issues in harmony

as for the question, that has been answered in this thread regarding seamless tiling in xara has it not ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I used an old program called Patternshop to explain what I was trying to do in Xara.

1- In this image, you see the base tile and 2 patterns created from that tile. The 2 patterns are exactly the same

https://ibb.co/3hp4Q2W

2- When placed together the 2 patterns (A and B) are seamless:

https://ibb.co/XVg5p9V

That (#2) isn't seamless.
    You have a small seamless tile, why are you trying to create a large seamless tile from it. It's causing issues that shouldn't exist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	133445  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for all the replies, and suggestions!

I hope this thread helps someone!

I don't see the lines between tiles in Xara. It happens when the file is exported as a PNG.

It's a famous old bug that's been around for many years in images created in Illustrator and Inkscape etc. I called it a bug because I don't think it can be called a "feature".

That can be fixed by changing the settings in Illustrator.

The bug is shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFfL0mwTwDM
    Last edited by Ric_NYC; 06 March 2023 at 12:20 PM.

Ric, I think you're missing my point. You have a perfect small seamless tile, no joins created by misplacement, anti-aliasing or anything else. Nothing to do with creating a perfect seamless tile. Having done that you seem to be messing them up creating larger seamless tiles that don't tile seamlessly.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    I don't see the lines between tiles in Xara. It happens when the file is exported as a PNG.
    It's a famous old bug that's been around for many years in images created in Illustrator and Inkscape etc. I called it a bug because I don't think it can be called a "feature".
    That can be fixed by changing the settings in Illustrator.
    The bug is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFfL0mwTwDM
    Then just cut your tile in Xara with a 0px line width or a shape with no line.
    Always set the the dimension to be whole pixels, 2" = 192px, which is fine.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Here is a seamless tile. You can fit it to any shape of any size and it seams perfectly. Why create a larger seamless tile. If you do just ensure your shape is in multiples of the tiles original shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seamless-2.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	133446  
    Egg

interesting video Ric but I don't think you understand the process the lady is describing otherwise you would not keep calling this a bug

a bug is something that should not happen for a given process - what we have here is something you do not expect to happen, but which neverthless is a consequence of what was done

the 'fix' is merely using the correct settings to tell PS how to anti-alias the tile for the tiling
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Then just cut your tile in Xara with a 0px line width or a shape with no line.
    Always set the the dimension to be whole pixels, 2" = 192px, which is fine.

Acorn
    beat me to it
    Nothing lasts forever...