Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: How to create a seamless pattern from a seamless tile?

certainly should work

I have an adversion to resizing fills unless there is no other [practical] choice, just me I guess; probably the animator in me baulks at resizing something 'on the hoof' - if it could be done by entering in absolute values numerically that might be different...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ric, to create a seamless tile-fill, assuming the tile is correct, make a 10"x10" box.
    With that selected, in the Bitmap Gallery, right-click on the tile and pick Apply as fill.
    This make a single tile fill all the box.

Switch to the Fill tool and change to Repeating tile and then set the Bitmap resolution back to 96dpi (or whatever the original image's dpi is).
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if it could be done by entering in absolute values numerically that might be different...
    You will now have 5x5 tiling in your box.

If you use @handrawn's method, select all the tiles, group them and make sure you have this set to render as a single image using Group web export.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I took the 2" x 2" tile and snapped copies to it originally.

However, just adding the 2" x 2" tile to the drawing anywhere: Draw 8" x 8" square: Add fill: Change fill to the picture bitmap: Change to repeating: Adjust fill handles: I cannot make the fill not seamless whatever I do. Using Shift I can distort it. but it's still seamless.

Attachment 133440
    You have to hold the CTRL while you move the handles to keep the ratio.

Let me just say this: I know how to create a base tile without outlines and use it in a large square to create a pattern in Xara (bitmap fill + repeating pattern, resize the pattern inside the square if needed, etc.).

My question is about how to make the final square that's seamless too.

This image explains what I'm saying:
    https://ibb.co/fxyM1GM

I tried to multiply the base title of 4"x4" by 5. So I thought that a 20"x20" square would be an exact size to create a large square keeping the seamless aspect of the original tile.
    That didn't work.
    Last edited by Ric_NYC; 05 March 2023 at 10:47 PM.

out of interest - is the one in the xara file I posted up seamless... I think it is... [post #9]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    Let me just say this: I know how to create a base tile without outlines and use it in a large square to create a pattern in Xara (bitmap fill + repeating pattern, resize the pattern inside the square if needed, etc.).
    My question is about how to make the final square seamless too.
    If you are dragging the fill with Ctrl+Drag, you are relying on your eye and judgement when to stop.
    You will rarely get the 20"x20" tile seamless like that.

I chose 10"x10" on purpose as I then put four together seamlessly with Snap to Objects.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    out of interest - is the one in the xara file I posted up seamless... I think it is... [post #9]
    I just did the same with yours and it is seamless 40"x40".

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ric, to create a seamless tile-fill, assuming the tile is correct, make a 10"x10" box.
    With that selected, in the Bitmap Gallery, right-click on the tile and pick Apply as fill.
    This make a single tile fill all the box.

Switch to the Fill tool and change to Repeating tile and then set the Bitmap resolution back to 96dpi (or whatever the original image's dpi is).

You will now have 5x5 tiling in your box.

If you use @handrawn's method, select all the tiles, group them and make sure you have this set to render as a single image using Group web export.

Acorn
    yes you can also do it that way, but I am a simple soul, I might even want to break it apart again

and forgive me once again for not thinking like a website builder; good point about the group web export should that be the requirement...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I just did the same with yours and it is seamless 40"x40".

Acorn
    yes indeed, it was rhetorical question...

there is the flaw in the base tile supplied of course, but it is seamless, I have made my fair share of seamless tiles these past few years...
    Nothing lasts forever...

The base tile that you used must have been changed by the website I used to share the image. If you take a look at the last picture that I posted you can see that inside the large square, there are no lines.

https://ibb.co/mB0byVM

Thank you, guys!

I'll read all the posts again and try to figure out what I should do!

I knew that snapping the base tiles could work but I was trying to use a feature that's built-in (the repeating pattern option).