Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How to create a seamless pattern from a seamless tile?

This is what I'm trying to achieve:
    I've already created a seamless tile that is 4"x4".
    From that tile I'm trying to create a square of 20"x20" that's also seamless in Xara.

So the final image will be a seamless 20"x20" square.

Squares with edges that don't have exact matches is what I'm getting now when I resize the tiles inside the large square.

The 20"x20" size is just an example, It can have different sizes (10x10, 30x30, etc).

Any suggestion is welcome!

Default Re: How to create a seamless pattern from a seamless tile?

I reckon your dimensions are wrong. Do check your tiles do not have a Line width.
    Also use Snap to Objects.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I reckon your dimensions are wrong. Do check your tiles do not have a Line width.
    Also use Snap to Objects.

Acorn
    This is the base tile, which is 2"x2":
    https://ibb.co/dQqMC5w

This is what I get when I resize it inside the 20"x20" square. make a copy of the square and use snapping to put the 2 squares together:
    https://ibb.co/2hRLTFJ

The result is a non-seamless square.

You're definitely scaling something wrongly.

The base 2" x 2" tile is okay ... It doesn't seem to have a line width, although it does have a grey line on the left hand side, which comes through in the repeat.

Scaling this up to 20" x 20", you should get a 10 x 10 repeat so something is really screwy with your tiling/scaling. If you're resizing the base 2" x 2", then your resize is off somewhere.

For me it repeats like this at 8" x 8"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repeat Test.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	133438
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What were the steps you used to achieve that result? especially how did you resize the base tile inside the 8"x8" square?

the simple way to see if your 2 in by 2 in works is to set your program nudge to 2 inches, clone the tile and then nudge the clone - do they line up - they do, but as keith said there is grey line visible which is a flaw in the tile fill - also, the tile must not have an outline yours do not so that is ok

I would be tempted to build up the pattern this way and then crop it to the size I wanted

if you are syncing it to an existing square, make sure the square is fill only and no outline, use the coordinate x/y values on the select tool info bar as reference, that way you may not even need to snap

if you resize the tile itself enter actual [identical] values for hight and width, do not rely on percentages etc
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I forgot to explain that I'm using the bitmap fill to create the pattern.
    This is what I did:

1- imported the base tile
    2- created a 20"x20" square (without outlines)
    3- select the square and applied the bitmap fill as a "repeating tile" and used CTRL + image handles to resize the tiles while keeping the same width and length ratio.

I didn't use the method of snapping many base tiles to create a larger square.

I would not do that - I would make a vector shape the same size as the base tile [ eg copy the base tile and then intersect it with a larger rectangle]

I would apply the base tile to this vector shape, no need to mess about resizing and risking inaccuracy

I would then build up the larger shape in the way I mentioned before...

EDIT - forgive me you do not need to do the intersect - just do it with the base tile; in xara there is no difference between a bitmap filled shape and a bitmap
    Nothing lasts forever...

like so - once you have done one row of horizontal base tiles, group it, then you can clone the row in one go and nudge down

repeat tile.xar
    Nothing lasts forever...

I took the 2" x 2" tile and snapped copies to it originally.

However, just adding the 2" x 2" tile to the drawing anywhere: Draw 8" x 8" square: Add fill: Change fill to the picture bitmap: Change to repeating: Adjust fill handles: I cannot make the fill not seamless whatever I do. Using Shift I can distort it. but it's still seamless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repeat Test 2.png 
Views:	306 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	133440
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.