Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is there a way to make my lines slightly 'wobbly' as if drawn by hand in XDPX?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    the only way I know to do that in xara is to do it the way gary suggested
    Based on Gary's method: Set some guides and, using the Freehand and Brush Tool, try to draw a straight line. In the Select an Existing Brush dropdown window, chose a marker or chalk brush and adjust the line width to your liking. With the Freehand Smoothing slider try to approximate the line you have in mind. Further adjustments can be made with the Shape Tool.

Perhaps this 10-years old TG-thread gives you some other ideas: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ook-hand-drawn.

Or else buy some vector file: https://www.shutterstock.com/search/...-straight-line

Default Re: Is there a way to make my lines slightly 'wobbly' as if drawn by hand in XDPX?

hey, nice find on the ten year old thread boy, happy days

as that thread sorta demonstrates, a hand drawn line almost by definition does not have parallel sides unless you use something like an isograph on bristol, in which case i would not call it 'rough'; sketch maybe, rough no

if there really must be parallel sides I still don't see a better way of doing it than gary's; I'd avoid scatter brushes which are dabs, sooner or later the overlaps will be visible; similarly art brushes with stretch...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

To keep a constant width for a Shape, I would use the Erase Tool, walking along the edge very steadily.
    I would use a nib size of double the Line width.
    Remember Erase can be additive with Shift+Drag.
    When done you can use the Shape Tool, delete control points and also apply smoothing.

For a Line use the smallest Nib, Shift+Drag over the Line and then set this resultant Shape to have no Line width.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Constant Width line.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	133411

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

To save time, if you have Affinity Designer there are plenty of brushes you could use to help give lines a hand drawn look. Using an informal font can also help give a draft appearance to your drawing.

Name:	wobbly-lines.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	133413
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Or use Acorns method but draw several wavy lines and create an art brush:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	133414  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes Jono and Affinity Designers mesh tool is to die for:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	133416  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    could not agree more - and it would do what shipen wants very quickly and easily keeping the sides of the lines parallel, but xara does not have one

but you have remined me of the xara tool shipen could use:

select the vector line go to shape painter tool [previously called shape builder] and from the info bar drop down on the right choose warp

that will enable you to warp the line by dragging over, keeping the sides equidistant ['parallel']

Name:	warp.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	133417
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I have tried Affinity Designer several times in the past.
    Maybe it's because I'm too used to Xara or maybe it's just my brain, but I find its learning curve to be brutal.

And after every time I have used it I regret the amount of time I have wasted try to master the basics!

Aside: It's such a shame that Xara seems to have lost its way and doesn't add things like this that other applications are clearly doing much better. Another example is finding a way to quickly and easily apply radiuses. Also the way the arrowheads in Xara finish BEYOND the end of the line in question. I could go on...

Although I love Xara, these issues stop me from using more often.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    could not agree more - and it would do what shipen wants very quickly and easily keeping the sides of the lines parallel, but xara does not have one

but you have remined me of the xara tool shipen could use:

select the vector line go to shape painter tool [previously called shape builder] and from the info bar drop down on the right choose warp

that will enable you to warp the line by dragging over, keeping the sides equidistant ['parallel']

Name:	warp.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	133417
    handrawn this wins my vote. If you use it in Paint mode, it have the ability to add/remove areas more easily.

Definitely one to remember.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I should have thought of it straight away, it was only egg mentioning mesh [warp] that made me remember...
    Nothing lasts forever...