Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Even Though I Have the Complete Affinity Suite... This Always Happens...

Header typo.... Even 'Though' (before someone points it out) LOL

I noticed a few of the times I popped in for a look that there's some talk here and there about the Affinity suite. And I know much of the discussion is geared towards vector tools used by the artists.
    I'm not an artist, but I thought I'd get into at least Affinity Designer & Publisher cause they seem so slick and solid and I thought it might be a nice change from XARA.

Well, here's what happens to me again and again... A job comes up... And I think that I'll tackle them in the new apps.. (and BTW, I learn to use what I need pretty quickly) but, in a matter of minutes
    I start to panic... close them down... running over to Xara to boot it up and get the job done easily and fast.

This week I needed to get all of these done (there's more, but you'll get the idea). And I could only do it with Xara. (yes, I know... it's what I'm used to) But I think it's even something more to it. There's
    just something about the Xara tools that get it done fast for me. Anyway... no great works of art... just some presentation stuff... that 'had to get done' quick. These were down and dirty and much of the
    art... in it is far from perfect.... but they didn't care... they just wanted to present the big picture.

HOOTERS RESTAURANT
    HOOTERS DESSERT MENU MOCK

MIAMI GRILL RESTAURANT
    MIAMI GRILL DESSERT MENU MOCK

MOD PIZZA RESTAURANT
    MOD PIZZA DESSERT MENU MOCK

Take Care
    Cliff
    Last edited by gwpriester; 26 February 2023 at 12:17 PM.
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Default Re: Even Thought I Have the Complete Affinity Suite... This Always Happens...

I gained a pound just by watching your delicious menus!

I agree with you. Using XDP's toolset is so intuitive, easy even -- well, in most instances anyway. It's fun too. With Affinity, I always have to sit down and become serious: "Okay, how am I going to tackle this job?" I'm still trying to master its toolsets; by, intermittently, practicing and watching how-to videos. I'm unhappy with their sparse UI and right-click context menus and have made suggestions for improvements. The apps are getting better and some of the new tools (Shape Builder Tool and the upcoming Vector Flood Tool) are quite impressive.

But every time I wonder why Xara (kind of) dropped out of the game.... And every time I hope the company wakes up and resumes its original efforts....

Default Re: Even Thought I Have the Complete Affinity Suite... This Always Happens...

I know the feeling Cliff.

I'm the same ... it's always easier and quicker in Xara.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Nice work on the menus!

I had this experience often, and always return to Xara.

The workflow is very well made and there is many subtle details that just makes it work faster.

Sometime I export to do some flood fills, deformations and levels/curves applied on vectors.

I just wish they would address those shortcomings.

Marc

I figured that I wasn't the only one... Here's another job I began this morning for some folks creating a gambling app.

I'm exporting it from Xara. Then uploading to a Flipbook site. Only 3 pages so far, but I think it'll wind up about 8-10.

Online Flipbook (heyzine.com)

Thanks
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

I was really tempted to purchase the new Version 2 Affinity suite when they had the $99.00 offer for all platforms. But I just have a hard time with their interface.

Xara is just so much easier for me to use. I may still get Affinity Photo but the Designer & Publisher I find Xara is much easier for me to use and I can do more with them.

Ray