Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Producing a editable pdf in Xara. Possible?

A shot in the dark on this one.
    I have several PDFs on a website for registrations and such. Viewers are instructed to download a pdf, then print, and mail but the process is convoluted and not all folks can do that. I can make a editable pdf with the Adobe program, or a third party program for signing purposes. Jotform seems to be the solution.

I’m wondering if one could make an editable pdf in Xara? I rather think not.

My thanks
    ~Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Producing a editable pdf in Xara. Possible?

Bill, I have never seen a Xara solution to handling editable PDF forms.

I feel you ought to be looking at Google Forms instead. Fairly quick to build and add in with the Widget.
    GF is free; JotForms could end up requiring a paid version.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Both requests, creating editable PDF forms and a native web form, are both features that have been/are being worked on. But I have no release date. For a web form, would a simple email with the contents of a submission be good enough for an initial release? Or would submissions need to be linked to an Excel/Google sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by MB365 View Post
    For a web form, would a simple email with the contents of a submission be good enough for an initial release?
    Being totally selfish, emailing the contents is all I use anyway. Some form of anti-spam bot would be an essential though.

Both requests, creating editable PDF forms and a native web form, are both features that have been/are being worked on. But I have no release date. For a web form, would a simple email with the contents of a submission be good enough for an initial release? Or would submissions need to be linked to an Excel/Google sheet?
    Thank You. Very good to know. I’ve never thought of a simple email form, and I may. There would have to be a depository for the information gathered from an email. Great food for thought. For interests sake I use a non editable pdf for things that require a hard copy of a receipt for example. I’ll use a jotform for straight informational purposes such as a volunteer registration.
    I’ve found that using a jotform for anything that involves payment is dodgey. With the free version you can only send the jotform to one email.
    Regarding a pdf you can send the viewer to a third party for editing, but that’s too much to ask.

If Xara is working on an editable pdf I’m fine with that. Thanks again.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Lightbulb Re: Producing a editable pdf in Xara. Possible?

For a web form, would a simple email with the contents of a submission be good enough for an initial release? Or would submissions need to be linked to an Excel/Google sheet?
    Matt, it is perfectly possible to create a Web Form that emails the completed entries.

Here is one I worked on today: HTML - emailing form data.xar
    I just lifted some ideas from W3 Schools.

If you intend to deliver similar you will need to:

• Prime To/Cc/Bcc entries and the Recipient email; easy enough to do so as a JSON object or other JavaScript construct.
    • To present entries (with Headings) as TSV. CSV would be problematic.
    • To include validation and to unescape HTML constructs.
    • To use CSS Variables aligned with Theme Colour values would be perfect in so many ways.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Bill, I've just started playing with https://www.pdfgear.com, which is free.
    It allows you to add Form Fields to an existing document. So at a basic level you could publish such a PDF form and your responders would input and save and return their completed form.
    I have not seen any method to extract form data but still early days.

Acorn

I'd use Google Forms here. The form can be linked to a spreadsheet of responses. Feel free to fill in and submit.

DEMO
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I'd use Google Forms here. The form can be linked to a spreadsheet of responses. Feel free to fill in and submit.

DEMO
    Thanks Egg. That certainly does work!
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design