Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One Giant Long Word When Pasting to MW

Hello group

It has just recently come to my attention that the text I'm using to explain a particular product on my webpage comes up as one giant word when copied and pasted into Microsoft Word.

Please let me explain. Anyone looking at my website online can easily read and understand the products that I am selling on my website. But when I copy and paste the text from my online website into Microsoft Word it comes up as one long giant word. Now with that said, if I copy and paste to Microsoft Word when I am building my website in Xara the text is completely readable with spaces in between each word just like if you are reading the newspaper.

The one long giant word phenomenon also happens when I use my Google reader on my website.

My fear is that the web spider crawlers are reading the text on my website as one giant word instead of reading it in plain simple organized text.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

I'm using Xara Web Designer Premium.

Thank you!

Default Re: One Giant Long Word When Pasting to MW

again, without seeing your site, there is nothing to do.

Did you at any time Copy & Paste into XWDP from some other source or did you type it all in?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I would always type into Xara and then I would copy it and check it in my grammar checker and then paste it back into Xara. It does the same thing in my testimonial pages. All my testimonials were copied from an email a customer sent to me and then I pasted them into Xara.

All I can suggest is paste into a plain text editor before and after and see if the CR/LF is altered.

We need an example, not a description.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

This is what it looks like when I copy and paste from my live published website into Microsoft Word. I would always type into Xara and then I would copy it and check it in my grammar checker and then paste it back into Xara.
    Also, I always select "Rich Text Format" from the paste special.

Therearemany,manydecisionsacabinetmakerwillmake beforepurchasinganyhardwoodorexotichardwoodsfrom so-calledlumberyardsontheweb.Iasaprofessionalcabinet makerwillonlydealwithlocalhardwoodespeciallylumber yards.Theperfectformulafordoingtherightthingisto alwaysrepeattheprocessandneverdeviate.Thiswillalwa ys guaranteehappycustomerswithgreatword-of-mouth references.

again, you are missing the point. Unless we have a link to your site, no one can determine if it is you, your site, MS Word, Xara or some gremlin.

I have come across sites that use JavaScript to remove spaces in Copying.
    I have seen Pasting where each word is placed so it looks as if there is a space.

Acorn

Acorn, I'm sorry misunderstood. Here's a link to my website: www.cmcbb.com

Quote Originally Posted by again View Post
    Acorn, I'm sorry misunderstood. Here's a link to my website: www.cmcbb.com
    again, it is the second option.

When you choose Full Justification, Xara, returns each word in a separate packet that is positioned exactly without any spaces whatsoever:
    Code:
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="top: 0px;">My</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="left: 25.05px; top: 0px;">website</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="left: 82.18px; top: 0px;">was</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="left: 113.17px; top: 0px;">completely</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="left: 192.33px; top: 0px;">written</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="left: 246.28px; top: 0px;">and</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="left: 276.63px; top: 0px;">designed</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="left: 342.23px; top: 0px;">by</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text xr_s7" style="left: 362.79px; top: 0px;">myself.</span>
    It is not very sensible as an approach. I would have designed appended a trailing space.

There is a workaround.
    Each Text Area needs a Name of htmlblocktext added.

To add insult to injury, Xara then applies a wrongly calculated line height to this block of text.

My fudge for this is a little CSS in the Website Code (body):
    Code:
    <style> [style*='justify'] { line-height: 1.48em !important; } </style>
    This assumes a line spacing of 120% everywhere.

The cleaner solution would be to set all your text blocks to left/right justify.

Acorn

Thank you, Acorn, I will have to digest what you are saying and I will get it right.

But I do have to ask even though you did mention it. My website is safe concerning any trolls, JavaScript, or anything like that??

Quote Originally Posted by again View Post
    Thank you, Acorn, I will have to digest what you are saying and I will get it right.
    But I do have to ask even though you did mention it. My website is safe concerning any trolls, JavaScript, or anything like that??
    A 'gremlin' would be offended if it were labelled a troll.

Your Xara design uses JavaScript in its normal build and is not harmful.
    How safe it is depends on how secure your service provider is. There is little that can be hacked.
    The only suggestion I have would be to aim to get the site using SSL (https://).

As your work hinges on visual impact, you could transform the site to being more image-centric and using Layers to reveal the textual detail.
    It would be more punchy.

You also need to set up your external links to open into a new Tab as otherwise you lose your viewers.

Acorn