Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Sticky Menu On Scrolling Site

In an effort to have a sticky menu smoothly appear on a scrolling site, and noting that Xara doesn't handle anything being sticky beyond a single object very well, I am attempting the following:

Sticky button on MouseOff calling pop-up layer 'menu', which can't be animated natively without fudging.
    Placeholder in pop-up layer. Placeholder sticky. (Theory is that the placeholder is the single object)

I have made my menu page that I want to show in the iframe placeholder and exported to the main site folder (see image).

I know I can make the links work by going the full path route (https://domain etc), but how, and where, would I put an internal link to pages 2, 3 etc, as if they weren't in a sub folder? Or don't I?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Menu 1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	133312

>>> Menu Main.xar <<< >>> Menu Sub Folder.xar <<<

Default Re: Sticky Menu On Scrolling Site

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    In an effort to have a sticky menu smoothly appear on a scrolling site, and noting that Xara doesn't handle anything being sticky beyond a single object very well, I am attempting the following:

Sticky button on MouseOff calling pop-up layer 'menu', which can't be animated natively without fudging.
    Placeholder in pop-up layer. Placeholder sticky. (Theory is that the placeholder is the single object)

I have made my menu page that I want to show in the iframe placeholder and exported to the main site folder (see image).

I know I can make the links work by going the full path route (https://domain etc), but how, and where, would I put an internal link to pages 2, 3 etc, as if they weren't in a sub folder? Or don't I?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Menu 1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	133312

>>> Menu Main.xar <<< >>> Menu Sub Folder.xar <<<
    Chris, you use relative addressing. This avoids the full path problem.

In your example, the Link would just become menu/page_1.htm, menu/page_2.htm.
    I, however, far prefer publishing the menu design as first page, menu. You then publish both Menu Main and Sub Folder to the same level.

It then begs the question, why not keep the menu in the main design?
    You match the Placeholder size to the Mneu pages size and change the IFRAME source to menu_1.htm.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    In your example, the Link would just become menu/page_1.htm, menu/page_2.htm.
    This attempts to open the page in the placeholder, not jump to the top tier folder.

I, however, far prefer publishing the menu design as first page, menu. You then publish both Menu Main and Sub Folder to the same level.
    I'm not following this bit. I don't see how I can create a subfolder from within the main site.

It then begs the question, why not keep the menu in the main design?
    Because the menu page appears when scrolling as it's just another page.

I may well be describing things poorly. I'll play around when I have a spare day, as it seems such a basic thing to do. I feel I must be using a hammer to loosen a screw.

For the first to force the link to open in the Placeholder, you need to change the target to the IFRAME name.
    In the IFRAME code, include name="aussieAlert".
    In the menu item Links, type in aussieAlert into the Open link in box.

Main publishes to index.htm with an index_htm_files/ folder.
    Menu publishes to menu_1.htm with a menu_1_htm_files/ folder; other menu_N pages publish as menu_N.htm.

All HTM files are at the same level and because neither design file has any named pages that are common, they publish beside themselves.

What i finally suggested was append the menu pages to then end of your Main design and change the IFRAME source to point to menu_1.htm.

For any of these to work you need to target into the IFRAME name.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

For the first to force the link to open in the Placeholder, you need to change the target to the IFRAME name.
    In the IFRAME code, include name="aussieAlert".
    In the menu item Links, type in aussieAlert into the Open link in box.

Main publishes to index.htm with an index_htm_files/ folder.
    Menu publishes to menu_1.htm with a menu_1_htm_files/ folder; other menu_N pages publish as menu_N.htm.

All HTM files are at the same level and because neither design file has any named pages that are common, they publish beside themselves.

What i finally suggested was append the menu pages to then end of your Main design and change the IFRAME source to point to menu_1.htm.

For any of these to work you need to target into the IFRAME name.

Acorn
    Do you hear that? The clear sound of a penny dropping.

Chris, you are now one of the elite.

Acorn