Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara crashes when trying to insert a Google form

When I try to insert a form from Google Forms, Xara Designer Pro X (19) crashes. The same happens when trying to import a form from jotform. Has anyone had the same experience? Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Xara crashes when trying to insert a Google form

Not sure if this will help but it is always worth a try.

Close DP X.

Right click on the program icon and select Run As Administrator.

You only need to do this once and it either will work or it won't.

Let us know.

Unfortunately, running DP X as admin does not help. But I found out that Google does not allow embedding their forms within an iframe. There is a commercial tool existing (formfacade.com) which enables you embed Google forms in your own website.
    Last edited by Acorn; 16 February 2023 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Removed Link

skycruiser, I don't have XDPXv19.

However, when I create a Google Form with the Widget in XDPXv18 & XPro+, it generates the code.
    The design Placeholder preview indicates "The content cannot be displayed in a frame"
    It you Publish or Preview, the form displays.
    Remember, the embed code is produced by Google. Why then would it server up an IFRAME tag construct and not support it?

I have removed your commercial link above as no one need be paying for such a service.

JotForm works for me without any problem.

For the Google Form the workaround would be to open a new window.
    The main design would have a JavaScript Link to do this.
    It is an approach when you are using Forms across Variants.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you for this feedback and sorry for the commercial link (I have no intention of using a commercial tool either). Now I wanted to try again with the widget for Google Forms, but when I import the Google Forms widget and try to login to my Google account, XDPX 19 crashes...

Quote Originally Posted by skycruiser View Post
    Thank you for this feedback and sorry for the commercial link (I have no intention of using a commercial tool either). Now I wanted to try again with the widget for Google Forms, but when I import the Google Forms widget and try to login to my Google account, XDPX 19 crashes...
    You shouldn't be importing but embedding. There is a big difference. The application ought not to crash either.

I think you should fully describe the steps you are following otherwise we'll be at cross purposes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

XDPX crashes both during import and embedding. Here are the individual steps:

Method 1 "Embedding"

in Google Forms
    ---------------
    - create the form
    - click the "send" button and select "embed HTML"
    - copy the HTML code

in XDPX 19
    ----------
    - select "Web Properties / HTML code (body)"
    - paste code
    - preview page
    - form appears without formatting, fields and checkboxes have no function. Useless.

Method 2 "Import Google Forms Widget"

in XDPX 19
    ----------
    Variant 1: Insert into existing page:
    - select "Insert from Content Catalogue"
    - empty catalogue appears with error message

Variant 2: Insert into a new blank page:
    - select "Insert from Content Catalogue"
    - import Google Forms Widget from "Components/Print & Web Components/Forms"
    - login to Google account appears
    - after entering e-mail address SDPX crashes after 2 minutes without error message. You don't even get to enter the password.

So in my case there is no way to include a form into a web page.

skycruiser, thank you for your processes.
    Method 2/Variant 1 is indicating you have an issue with your installation.
    I suggest you contact Magix.

Method 1 - you do not indicate if you are embedding into a Placeholder body.

Method 2/Variant 2 might be a symptom of Variant 1.

Acorn

Yes, I embedded the HTML code into a placeholder body.

I don't think that I have an installation issue, because I have two different and active installations / licenses on two different computers (one in the office and one at home) and with both I have the same problem. In this case I will contact Magix. Thank you anyway for your comments.

Skycruiser

I have just been able to solve the problem: Embedding HTML code using placeholders is only not displayed correctly in the Firefox browser. It worked in Chrome and Edge.

Skycruiser