Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default On my PC, Browse Preview on the export dialogue box does nothing....

Hi folks

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

On Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.0.64291 running on Windows 10.0.19045.2546 (2H22) with IE11 uninstalled and with a working Firefox 110 Beta 4 as my default browser, I have the following issue:

If I export an object to a JPG or a PNG, then click the browser preview, nothing happens.

Now I know this function uses the small executable Xaralink.exe, which is located in "%programfiles%\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\19"

This file definitely exists in this location and does get run when I attempt the preview.

I am wondering if anyone else is having the same issue when they do a browser Preview from the JPG/PNG export dialogue box?

I am currently using a workaround which involves using my own Xaralink.exe compiled with Autohotkey. This allows the browser preview from within Xara’s JPG/PNG export dialogue box.

I am waiting for Xara DPX 20 (Not interested in Xara’s subscription model) to see if this issue resolves in that version. I don’t really want to reinstall 19 as my work-a-round serves me well at this time.

Default Re: On my PC, Browse Preview on the export dialogue box does nothing....

uninstalling IE 11 may be your problem here... xara version 19 still relies on IE API for some of these functions and if you remove IE you remove these; I would not hold your breath for it being fixed in the next magix version

however it is fixed in the latest pro+ version, which has migrated entirely over to edge for preview, but is subscription

you could try putting IE 11 back to see if it works again

btw - is there a particular reason you removed IE... it is still on my computer, I just never ever use it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: On my PC, Browse Preview on the export dialogue box does nothing....

Yeah I had a feeling it might be uninstalling IE11. I took it off due to it being touted as insecure. (then again, maybe I've drunk a bit too much cool aid on that one)

The Xara “Preview Current Web page” and “Preview Whole Website”, and FTP uploading from Xara still works with IE11 removed, so I think I’ll leave IE11 uninstalled.

The only other issue I had with the removal of IE11 is that links in emails opened in outlook 2007 (Yes, I know) no longer worked. I was able to fix this with a registry edit.

I think for the JPG/PNG export preview, I will just keep using my Autohotkey compiled Xaralink.exe. I do have a backup of Xara’s original Xaralink.exe file for justin. Maybe when Xara 20 comes out, I will see if that fixes it. However, as you say, I am not holding my breath for a fix until a few versions down the track.

...however it is fixed in the latest pro+ version, which has migrated entirely over to edge for preview
    My version of Print Preview still reverts to IE HD? Xara Designer Pro+ 22.5.1.65716 SL x64 Dec 9 2022
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	133287  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

question is Egg, are you seeing IE11, or the IE11 mode of Edge ?

you have made me think that maybe my reference should have been to win11 not xara though.... I'll have to check
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

IE11 mode of Edge
    I avoid Edge apart from testing sites HD so I'm not sure if I have this feature enabled.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Promidi View Post
    outlook 2007
    You uninstalled IE for security but still use Outlook 2007?