Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble publishing my website

So... I finally have my website designed in Xara and ready to go up. I have hosting with Namesco so I'm using the 'publish to other webhost (via FTP)' option. I've put all the details in, double, triple-checked them, but I keep getting an error message: 'FTP error: URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL'.

Can anyone out there help a definitely non-techy newbie to all this? Namesco do have a File Manager which can upload the files, but it only allow one file at a time, so it will take an age that way and I'd much rather use the integrated Xara method.

Many thanks in advance

Default Re: Trouble publishing my website

I checked Namesco's support page and I was not able to find their standard instructions for uploading to their servers with FTP.

I would suggest you open a support ticket and tell them you are using Xara Designer Pro and can they give you the FTP address and advise what sub folder they want you to publish to. This is frequently public_html/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftp settings.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	133273  

One further thing missed by Gary. If your site has a SSL certificate you should change the "Connect to" dropdown to FTPS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	133274
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

One further thing missed by Gary.
    Cut me some slack Egg. I'm old. Even older than you I think.

FTPS is preferred but it gets confusing with Designer Pro because you need to append the port to the FTP address.

Hi both, and thanks so much for your responses. I do have the from Namesco re server name and the correct folder to upload to and have entered it all very carefully on several attempts, but still getting the same message. But I'm wondering about your comment about appending the port to the FTP address? - I hadn't seen anything about that. Can you clarify what the format is - ie do I just add the relevant number (presumably also available from Namesco) on to the end of the FTP address?

Other than that I think I'll have to do as you say and open a support ticket. Many thanks again for your help

This is what I use. :21
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftp.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	133279  

Cut me some slack Egg. I'm old. Even older than you I think.
    No slackers on TG Gary! Yes you're a few years older than me, I'm 75 now.

I don't need to add a port number in Xara, presumeably my server does it automatically?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank Gary I'll give that a try!

Update:

It turns out that there's a setting in Namesco's hosting that specifies the site can only be uploaded from a specific IP address and mine wasn't on the list so all sorted now.

I must say that Namesco's staff are really nice and helpful to a non techy person when you phone them, and not difficult get through to either - makes a change from some other companies I know!

Good to know.