Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pdf not opening - not sure why

I've got a pdf I want to have downloadable, applied the link and it's not opening or doing anything.

I started doing this with it password protected and thought that was the problem, nope. I did get it to work once, went back to password protect it, and again it would not open. So gave up and uploaded it again without a password and now no matter what I do, it won't open. So why won't it open? What do I need to do to make it workable?

Here's the link to the page: https://www.bodaciousbeardies.com/litter-2023.htm

Thanks,
    Sue

Default Re: pdf not opening - not sure why

Sue, there is no PDF accessible.

You are delivering https://www.bodaciousbeardies.com/in...n-password.pdf, which is password protected.
    It has a size of 495157 Bytes.

You probably should be Ctrl+F5ing your browser to get to see the Password required pop-up.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn. That file is there because I was messing around with it. haha, now I can see the password pop up and I uploaded it without the password and it's working! It didn't matter password or not, it was not working LOL It just needed YOUR EYES!

I've never done a pdf with a password before. Is there another way to download that file and have it password protected to open it? I didn't want other breeders stealing my document...ideas?

Sue

I would need to know what PDF tool you are using?
    Or did you generate it as a PDF from within Xara?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I use Adobe Acrobat X Pro and linked with Xara Web Designer Premium

Thanks
    Sue

Sue, all i do is change Document > Properties > Security and add a password.
    Locked or not the linking in XWDP is the same.

I suspect you had a browser or server incident.

Acorn

Acorn, I can't find "document" to proceed...is this in Xara? I've tried looking..

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Sue, all i do is change Document > Properties > Security and add a password.
    Locked or not the linking in XWDP is the same.

I suspect you had a browser or server incident.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    Acorn, I can't find "document" to proceed...is this in Xara? I've tried looking..
    I was talking about Acrobat.

Acorn

Ahh, well, that explains why I couldn't find it. I also looked at Acrobat, but it's not quite in that same spot. What I did find was this in Xara Help:
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I was talking about Acrobat and it says "what night not work." Whaaattttt....
    • Files that are encrypted or password protected cannot be imported. in the empty spot it was "password protected"

Acorn

Info Re: pdf not opening - not sure why

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    Ahh, well, that explains why I couldn't find it. I also looked at Acrobat, but it's not quite in that same spot. What I did find was this in Xara Help:
    You you've mangled my last Post into your Xara Help Find.

You cannot Import a password protected PDF but you can Link it in.

I think you found:
    What might not work:
    •If you attempt to edit embedded subset fonts with the Print and Preview permissions you will receive a restricted license font warning which you can either cancel, or ignore (for the current session only).
    Files that are encrypted or password protected cannot be imported.
    You are Linking to your encrypted PDF not placing it onto your design page.

Acorn