Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Long time user - completely confused on which product to update to with online access

I am a long time Xara user (still confused between Magix and Xara and each time I go for some kind of support, I am sent to Magix) and I have been using Xara Designer Pro X for the last few years.
    I am not in the design business, but I create my own websites for mine and my husband's businesses.
    I am also a wedding planner so have been so busy, I've neglected the websites for over a year since Covid. Now, it seems I can't event get the content catalog without updating support for $89.
    So, now I want to be able to create websites on my laptop but also want to edit them online (cloud) from wherever on both my laptop and my Android tablet.
    I use the total Affinity line for photos, vector, publisher, etc so don't really need all that.
    I would like to continue to use the websites I have created on my laptop using Designer Pro X but want to also create a new version using one of the newer templates. And I want to be able to upload the websites to my host, Hostinger. Then, I want to be able to edit the website online without having to use the resident software in case I am on a Mac computer in the hotel.
    Can anyone advise me which product I should be looking at? I am SO confused between legacy and plus products, cloud products, etc.
    THANK YOU!
    Peace. Meesha

Just to keep confused --- Is there a Xara product that I can use completely online but also be able to edit if I'm offline? And if online, do I still 'upload' the site to my host? I'm SO confused and as you can probably tell, NOT a designer pro nor do I fully understand how the entire website file system works. Sorry for the confusion!
    Last edited by peaceinvt; 15 January 2023 at 12:41 AM. Reason: add info

Default Re: Long time user - completely confused on which product to update to with online ac

Meesha, this is a potted exploration of your issues:

Support
    If it is a Plus product then Xara (subscription), else any other is Magix (nag screen, Update Service).
    On-line Editing
    Xara Cloud is free and usable for any MagiXara (Magix, Xara Plus) product. It is not designed for website editing. You still need a desktop MagiXara product.
    Editing Post Publish
    Not possible. You can only republish from the desktop to any host. You can Export locally and use FileZilla to any host.
    Off-line Working
    Totally possible for any MagiXara product, obviously not Xara Cloud.
    Latest Version
    With Xara you can subscribe to Xara Cloud Plus, get on-line access and also get Xara Designer Pro=, always the latest version, remember subscription.
    You can upgrade with Magix and its Upgrade Service for $89 and get, currently version 19.0. This will gibe you a product that is about a year behind Xara Plus.
    You should have Downloaded All templates when you were in Update Service cover. An alternative is to buy into XaraTemplates.com, where the templates are just better and permanent.

For you, my gut is advising go with Magix Update Service and remember to Download All (https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara...Designer_Pro_X).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Long time user - completely confused on which product to update to with online ac

Quote Originally Posted by peaceinvt View Post
    I am a long time Xara user (still confused between Magix and Xara and each time I go for some kind of support, I am sent to Magix) and I have been using Xara Designer Pro X for the last few years.
    I am not in the design business, but I create my own websites for mine and my husband's businesses.
    I am also a wedding planner so have been so busy, I've neglected the websites for over a year since Covid. Now, it seems I can't event get the content catalog without updating support for $89.
    So, now I want to be able to create websites on my laptop but also want to edit them online (cloud) from wherever on both my laptop and my Android tablet.
    I use the total Affinity line for photos, vector, publisher, etc so don't really need all that.
    I would like to continue to use the websites I have created on my laptop using Designer Pro X but want to also create a new version using one of the newer templates. And I want to be able to upload the websites to my host, Hostinger. Then, I want to be able to edit the website online without having to use the resident software in case I am on a Mac computer in the hotel.
    Can anyone advise me which product I should be looking at? I am SO confused between legacy and plus products, cloud products, etc.
    THANK YOU!
    Peace. Meesha

Just to keep confused --- Is there a Xara product that I can use completely online but also be able to edit if I'm offline? And if online, do I still 'upload' the site to my host? I'm SO confused and as you can probably tell, NOT a designer pro nor do I fully understand how the entire website file system works. Sorry for the confusion!
    Hi Meesha,
    Drop us a chat message at www.xara.com and we can help you with the right solution for your needs. In short, based on your requirements, the bundle of Designer Pro+ desktop and Xara Cloud will help you achieve what you want. Designer Pro+ has the most current website design features, the most robust template library, and the best workflow for creation. Xara Cloud gives you the ability to edit and republish basic website changes to text and images. Great for remote and quick changes on the go from a Mac.

As an existing product owner, you are eligible for discounts on the Xara+ products. We can help you with this as well. www.xara.com/contact-us

Best,
    Matt

Acorn, thank you!! Yes, I was actually thinking on it and seems that the $89 upgrade service is the right way to go for me - especially after your explanations.
    And this time, I will actually download the content catalog with the items I might need or want later on! What was I thinking! I think I just believed that it would always be there as part of the software and I just wouldn't get software updates.
    Thank you so much for your help!

Good evening, Matt
    On thinking of what I need and reading Acorn's advice, I believe I should stick with the Designer Pro+ that I currently have. I will upgrade to the latest version using the discount for present users.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by peaceinvt View Post
    Good evening, Matt
    On thinking of what I need and reading Acorn's advice, I believe I should stick with the Designer Pro+ that I currently have. I will upgrade to the latest version using the discount for present users.
    Thanks!
    Sounds good. Note that Xara Cloud does not come bundled with the Xara version sold through Magix, so if you want to do website edits via remote laptops or on a Mac, then you would need to purchase Xara Cloud separately. In addition, the majority of XaraTemplates inventory is already bundled with the Xara Designer Pro+ service. We update the template library monthly, there are no updates to the template library with the Magix product.

With the 50% lifetime discount you are eligible for on the Pro+ bundle, the cost is comparable yearly to the version at Magix.

Happy creating with Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by MB365 View Post
    Note that Xara Cloud does not come bundled with the Xara version sold through Magix, so if you want to do website edits via remote laptops or on a Mac, then you would need to purchase Xara Cloud separately.
    First of all, I love XDP and am happy that Xara seems to be (at least partially) committed to its further development but I am totally unclear about how it relates to Xara's intentions with Xara Cloud, as well as those regarding its ‘cooperation’ with Magix. I don’t expect any answers from you because the company has never been really forthcoming about these subjects, so don’t worry…. 😉

But I thought to take a look at the offerings for Xara Cloud again and was confused by the pricing page. It might be a reflection of Xara’s own confusion about its strategic intentions regarding product development and marketing. I seem to remember that one of the forum members pointed out similar inconsistencies and errors on the website quite a while ago and a company response that they would be fixed.

The issue centers around the – from left to right – ascending claims in the comparison chart, “Everything in XXX, plus:”
    I think the screenshots speak for themselves. I only highlighted those issues that jumped out at me right away but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are others that need to be looked at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	133259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	133260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	133261

@Boy, @Matt is entitled to push his wares but Xara Cloud does have a Free option.
    No Cloud or Cloud+ can edit .XAR/.WEB website designs where there are Layers, unless you resave only making one Layer at a time visible (in Xara Cloud). There is no Cloud mix where you can "do website edits via remote laptops or on a Mac", you need a Xara Desktop Plus product for this still.

Anything that has a Plus against a Xara Cloud subscription includes Xara Pro+.
    Your can buy your separate Plus product and then choose to run with a Xara Cloud (non-Plus) subscription.
    All these are subscription based.
    You could run with a legacy (Magix) XDA and some Xara Cloud provision in a hybrid approach.

Xara Cloud TEAM is just Xara Cloud PRO times three @ £25.99/m instead of 3x£12.99/m, with 5GB storage versus 3x1GB.
    These two tables should be adjacent.

Append a + sign and you then get Xara Designer Pro+ included for £4/m.
    I would treat the Plus as a bolt-on.

If you are building websites, you cannot do this easily without a Plus or legacy product.

The Working Offline heading is incorrect as you need access to the Internet to download and use any of the Online Content Catalogue components.

As to discounts, it seems unclear:
    New Year Offer: Save 50% on the price of the any annual plan shown opposite if you buy before Jan 16, 2023. Simply enter the coupon code DESKTOP50.
    With the 50% lifetime discount you are eligible for on the Pro+ bundle, the cost is comparable yearly to the version at Magix.
    Last chance is today for Xara Designer Pro+! It does not state this is across the duration of your subscription beyond a year; it probably is but no indication what happen is you take a break.
    Special Offer: Save 50% on the price of the annual plan shown opposite if you buy before January 16, 2023. Simply enter the coupon code DESKTOP50 during purchase
    Ditto Web Designer+.
    Special Offer: Save 50% on the price of the annual plan shown opposite if you buy before January 16, 2023. Simply enter the coupon code DESKTOP50 during purchase
    Ditto Photo & Graphic Designer+.

If you could get three souls to form a "Team", then it would cost £5/m (after discount) to access Xara Cloud TEAM+, importantly this comes with Xara Designer Pro+.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Boy, @Matt is entitled to push his wares
    That's not the point of my post; it concerned the errors on the Xara Cloud pricing page and, hence, the further confusion it creates about the various Xara product offerings.

I didn't see any issues on the screen prints ... They seem to be consistent. What am I missing.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.