Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How can I draw/create the wavy lines in this way?

Hello, maybe someone can give me some tips: How can I draw/create the wavy lines (see images) in this way? I have already tried it a few times with the "Pen Tool" but somehow the line always becomes a bit "angular". In addition, it seems to me that it should actually be more like 2 filled (wave) shapes which are then assigned different transparency and which partially overlap.

However, the image ("shape") must also be rounded off at the bottom or at least cut out so that you can later use any image as a filling.

Is there something like this in the Xara design templates (or in the case of free templates, vectors) that you can convert. But I found nothing.

I have been using Xara for 15 years but only for graphics/websites. Unfortunately, I have almost no experience with drawing such curves,

Thanks for any help.

Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waves1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	133253

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waves2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	133254

Default Re: How can I draw/create the wavy lines in this way?

Additional info: The "original" is from a wordpress template, the waves are SVG generated with 3 paths. The seems generated at runtime so you can not copy anything to use as "blueprint".

Tom, the quickest way is to use three copies of the image and slice each with a wavy line and discard the bottom cut-out.
    you then just stack the three parts and give two of them a 50% Linear Transparency.

Each horizontal line starts outside the image and would have three points (left, middle right) all connected as Make Curve and Smooth Join.
    This allows to to smoothly adjust the curve.

With a Line in position over one image , select Both and pick Combine Shapes > Slice.

If you Clone the three Lines, you can thereafter adjust the curves and width to suit for new designs.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Tom, the quickest way is to use three copies of the image and slice each with a wavy line and discard the bottom cut-out.
    you then just stack the three parts and give two of them a 50% Linear Transparency.

Each horizontal line starts outside the image and would have three points (left, middle right) all connected as Make Curve and Smooth Join.
    This allows to to smoothly adjust the curve.

With a Line in position over one image , select Both and pick Combine Shapes > Slice.

If you Clone the three Lines, you can thereafter adjust the curves and width to suit for new designs.

Acorn

Thanks a lot, Acorn for the explanation. I will try my luck tomorrow with it.

Tom

There's an alternative non-destructive way if you have a version of Xara that can export Shapes as SVG. (If not it's a great reason to purchase an upgrade!)

I've also attached the constructor xar file.

You can also go further and have the overlay as an animated svg:

DEMO
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 15 January 2023 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Because my brains addled!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's a further example of using vector shapes:

DEMO
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    You can also go further and have the overlay as an animated svg:

DEMO
    That's a really interesting effect you created, Egg!

If you are using this as a graphic then it is fairly easy to setup.

Make a white box that covers the bottom of the picture.
    Covert the box to shapes.
    Using the shape tool add two points along the top line on the for where you will want the top part of the curve and the bottom part. Make sure you have smooth join selected for the shape tool in order to have curves.
    Move these two points up or down for the position you want.
    Adjust the handles of the top lines points to give you the curve you want.
    Copy the box 2 times and apply transparency and size as required to give you the same effect.
    Group all four items.

Ray

All the approaches here worked well; liked Egg's animated SVG's. Ray's probably the simplest. Had a go with a video background using Acorn's solution: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/grass/
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    All the approaches here worked well; liked Egg's animated SVG's. Ray's probably the simplest. Had a go with a video background using Acorn's solution: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/grass/
    Gary, most kind to showcase your work here.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat