Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Pro+ Internal Error Find and Replace

Hi, Fellow Comrades

Just upgraded to Xar Pro+

Whilst updating one of many websites with the latest copyright date 2023

I can use Find and Replace - I type in 2022 and replace with 2023 select replace all
    this replaces all entries of all 35 pages no problem same as when I used Xara ProX 19

however when I try to do the same on the variant pages in my new Pro+ i get an internal error pop box?
    (see attached)

this is the same as I used to experience with the Xara ProX 19 and previous ProX 17
    I can repeat the task and it does eventually change all entries. (in all version)

My concern is why is this happening on my New ProX+ version I would have thought after I upgraded to Xara Pro+

this bug would have been ironed out!! in the new Flagship version ?
    not a huge issue but niggly to see error messages anytime?
    Does anyone else have this issue or do they leave their copyright date the same for
    years and never try to update the entries by find and replace

I do login as administrator too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	find and replace error.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	133252
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by condor365; 14 January 2023 at 11:49 AM. Reason: wrong attachment

Default Re: Pro+ Internal Error Find and Replace

condor, sorry you are getting a fault with this.

For something as simple as a Copyright year, you should be using Repeat on All Pages for Main and separately for the Variant.
    A change of one in Main replaces all its values. Ditto for the Variant.

Ideally, you ought to be using Insert > Smart Fields > Personal SmartFields.
    Set up as 'copyright: © 2022 - condor365'.
    Apply liberally across pages and variants.
    Later, go back and change the 2022 to 2023 - everything is updated.

Finally, you should not change the origin year. There is no need and copyright does not need a year anyhow.
    The Berne Convention covers most countries.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Dear Acorn

Thank you again for clearing this up I will use your strategy in future.

I did some research about the date being kept up to date there seems to a fair bit of debate
    about it?
    I have always felt compelled to keep it looking as though the website is currently
    updated and refreshed or new?

But have taken you advice on board
    and stop blaming the software!!

Thanks again
    Condor

I think the person/entity in whom the copyright is vested is important, otherwise it can lack credibility in the eyes of some , no matter the strict legal position

agree with acorn, date is optional.. but you are also right, just a plain 'copyright' and nothing else looks rather lame...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I think the person/entity in whom the copyright is vested is important, otherwise it can lack credibility in the eyes of some , no matter the strict legal position

agree with acorn, date is optional.. but you are also right, just a plain 'copyright' and nothing else looks rather lame...
    Thank you for your support I did have a fastidious pedantic customer once many years ago complain to me
    that the date shown at the footer next to the copyright was out of date and looked unprofessional.

Since then I have always made sure all my websites have the most current date showing.

Kind regards

Condor

i had a disagreement debate on this forum way back with a now ex-admin about what constitutes 'professional'; it was sorta polar between 'anything that is paid for' to 'anything that is equal to or above a given standard' .... it is often very subjective....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by condor365 View Post
    Hi, Fellow Comrades

Just upgraded to Xar Pro+

Whilst updating one of many websites with the latest copyright date 2023

I can use Find and Replace - I type in 2022 and replace with 2023 select replace all
    this replaces all entries of all 35 pages no problem same as when I used Xara ProX 19

however when I try to do the same on the variant pages in my new Pro+ i get an internal error pop box?
    (see attached)

this is the same as I used to experience with the Xara ProX 19 and previous ProX 17
    I can repeat the task and it does eventually change all entries. (in all version)

My concern is why is this happening on my New ProX+ version I would have thought after I upgraded to Xara Pro+

this bug would have been ironed out!! in the new Flagship version ?
    not a huge issue but niggly to see error messages anytime?
    Does anyone else have this issue or do they leave their copyright date the same for
    years and never try to update the entries by find and replace

I do login as administrator too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	find and replace error.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	133252
    Logged for Xara engineering

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    i had a disagreement debate on this forum way back with a now ex-admin about what constitutes 'professional'; it was sorta polar between 'anything that is paid for' to 'anything that is equal to or above a given standard' .... it is often very subjective....
    Nicely put Handrawn. I noticed that MB365 has logged this thread for the xara engineering now!!

Currently scheduled for improvement in Plus edition 22.6 release.

A potential workaround: The error might not occur if you close the dialog and select an item on the other variant prior to re-opening the find and replace dialog

Quote Originally Posted by MB365 View Post
    Currently scheduled for improvement in Plus edition 22.6 release.

A potential workaround: The error might not occur if you close the dialog and select an item on the other variant prior to re-opening the find and replace dialog
    Yes that does work thank you
    Condor