Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: A good way of creating a painting or perhaps a sinister way forward?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM
    This is as Pollocky as my potato will allow...
    that is good chris, it has style...

as I understand it, AI is based upon 'scraping' databased information [or google even] and putting it together according to algorithms - on that basis it is not the Ai that produces art that worries me... but deepfakes for example are worrying

you don't know what Rembrandt is until you stand in front of and study an original; everything else is a mere representation no matter how good, and a representation is never the thing represented

now if AI learn to actaully physically paint with real brushes and medium then I will sit up and take notice, and it will come; but then they will need 'inspiration' to be original and that will need the processing power of the human brain, if we get there we will be in trouble [but I likely will no longer be here]...
    Last edited by handrawn; 09 January 2023 at 12:42 PM. Reason: wrong image
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: A good way of creating a painting or perhaps a sinister way forward?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    that is good chris, it has style...

as I understand it, AI is based upon 'scraping' databased information [or google even] and putting it together according to algorithms - on that basis it is not the Ai that produces art that worries me... but deepfakes for example are worrying

you don't know what Rembrandt is until you stand in front of and study an original; everything else is a mere representation no matter how good, and a representation is never the thing represented

now if AI learn to actaully physically paint with real brushes and medium then I will sit up and take notice, and it will come; but then they will need 'inspiration' to be original and that will need the processing power of the human brain, if we get there we will be in trouble [but I likely will no longer be here]...
    You're correct. At the moment, AI copies existing 'chunks' of existing images to form a new image. I also agree that the more worrying side is the ability to create fakes.

If you haven't seen the famous This Person Does Not Exist yet, I suggest you have a look. Now imagine corporations flooding reviews with 'real' people, or political campaigners having their 'facts' verified by the real person you see before you.

Not long, I saw and short video of a man and woman having chat about what to have for breakfast. You could still spot it was AI, mainly the way the spoke and the words they used...but it was close.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    it's not quite there yet - the creases under the eyes do not look natural, and if you look carefuly at the face you can sorta see the seam where the bone over the eyes meets the forehead; once you see that you can follow the seam down either side of the face - but who is going to look that closely with a critical eye generally - a human with photoshop and some time could do better, but the AI will steadily improve, it's only just learning to walk at the moment
    Nothing lasts forever...

I asked for a painting of a monkey painting a portrait of Rembrandt. Not quite what I asked for but...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Painting of a monkey painting a portrait of Rembrandt.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	133223
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

it's not quite there yet - the creases under the eyes do not look natural, and if you look carefuly at the face you can sorta see the seam where the bone over the eyes meets the forehead; once you see that you can follow the seam down either side of the face - but who is going to look that closely with a critical eye generally - a human with photoshop and some time could do better, but the AI will steadily improve, it's only just learning to walk at the moment
    Refresh the page a few times. See if they all have similar faults.

They look perfectly human to me.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

meanwhile of course, the same old same old editing of history continues a pace:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64223974
    Nothing lasts forever...

...even in one's own style with the help of AI in the future.
    Yes Tim but the reverse of this is that anyone could produce art in your style as well if you generate enough of a following of your work.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

is that a spammer I see before me ...
    Nothing lasts forever...

is that a spammer I see before me ...
    @handrawn, sorry that I took so long, I was at lunch. Link stuffers are not tolerated, ever.

Thanks for the heads up.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat