Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Affinity Designer Shape Builder Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    But Xara has the blend tool!
    Yes, but lacks the rounding corner tools, something that I'm asking for years sadly.
    The shape buider tools is something that can be useful in many situation, but as Acorn said you can find ways to accomplish something similar.
    Another thing that I miss is the ability to change the thickness of the lines node by node.
    Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco D View Post
    Yes, but lacks the rounding corner tools, something that I'm asking for years sadly.
    The shape buider tools is something that can be useful in many situation, but as Acorn said you can find ways to accomplish something similar.
    Another thing that I miss is the ability to change the thickness of the lines node by node.
    As we all know and expect, Xara will never save the day and deliver all these worthy proposals.

While waiting for Line width by Node, I clone the shape and Break at points.
    Each segment can then have a different width and stroke.
    Never liked doing it like this but at least the shapes produced are now SVG (XPro+) and not a clutch of PNGs and so I can tweak the SVG if i choose.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

can you clarify this for me - are you saying that in pro+, when you convert an artbrush line to shape and break points, you now get a vector [SVG] ? thanks
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

.. no matter, I have been unsubscribed from pro+ long enough to requalify for a free trial, can check it out myself...

thanks again
    Nothing lasts forever...

appears not; art brushes are still not true vectors... pity, that might well have brought me back into the fold...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    appears not; art brushes are still not true vectors... pity, that might well have brought me back into the fold...
    If the Art Brush design is fairly simple then it renders as Shapes after your Convert Line to Shape, hence SVGable.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

if I take one of the ink and paint [art] brushes - the shape is vector, but the texture does not appear to be a vector fill

if I export a quickshape with vector fill, it stays vector; an art brush does not [unless I am doing something wrong]
    Nothing lasts forever...

I hope this is not unacceptably off-topic: Abode Illustrator has had a path shape tool since version 5 I believe. And any export or editing retains its vector format. You have to "simpify" the altered path before you can import into, say, Xara, as a path and not a bitmap.

Creature House Expression (free, no longer in development, and belongs to Microsoft) can deal intricately and extensively with changing the width at node points and that program goes back to the last century :)

Seems to me that if the engineers on Xara were allowed to, and I think it has to do with letting us define a custom stroke rather than picking from a limited list, they do so if only TPTB would allow it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Width tool.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	133184
    Last edited by Barbara B; 05 January 2023 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    can you clarify this for me - are you saying that in pro+, when you convert an artbrush line to shape and break points, you now get a vector [SVG] ? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    If the Art Brush design is fairly simple then it renders as Shapes after your Convert Line to Shape, hence SVGable. Acorn
    @handrawn, we obviously work and think differently but without examples, it is difficult to discuss what these differences are.
    I was working with a Default line with one of Xara's Strokes but I could build my own Art brush that remains a vector.
    Here is a simple Motion Path of the resultant SVG: anime.js - pac-acorns.xar.
    It does require Shapes as SVG (I'm using XPro+v22.5).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I hope this is not unacceptably off-topic: Abode Illustrator has had a path shape tool since version 5 I believe. And any export or editing retains its vector format. You have to "simpify" the altered path before you can import into, say, Xara, as a path and not a bitmap.
    Creature House Expression (not free and belongs to Microsoft) can deal intricately and extensively with changing the width at node points and that program goes back to the last century
    Seems to me that if the engineers on Xara were allowed to, and I think it has to do with letting us define a custom stroke rather than picking from a limited list, they do so if only TPTB would allow it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Width tool.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	133184
    @Gare, I have never understood why we are stuck with Xara's Strokes (e.g., 'goldfish'). I would think this obstacle would the the first and simplest to address.
    Any line converted to a shape, inherently can have its nodes adjusted, but clearly it, no longer being a line, removes its intrinsic worth.
    So no, you are not 'off-topic'. Thank you for raising it.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    While waiting for Line width by Node, I clone the shape and Break at points.
    Each segment can then have a different width and stroke.
    I took this to mean shape as in an object with nodes around it's perimeter

What interested me was what happened if you broke such a shape, not a line, but a shape

it is not clear to me in your example which route you took...
    Nothing lasts forever...