Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Affinity Designer Shape Builder Tool

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I took this to mean shape as in an object with nodes around it's perimeter
    What interested me was what happened if you broke such a shape, not a line, but a shape
    it is not clear to me in your example which route you took...
    handrawn, yes, i probably thought I had explained it all (to myself at least).

I took a Shape and with the Shape Tool, selected all the nodes then broke them.
    As individual lines, i then applied a Line width, brush and Stroke to each (or all).
    Finally, I converted Lines to Shapes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

its the convert lines to shapes that confuses me, because sometimes it gives bitmaps, not shapes; you mentioned bitmaps, hence the question given i am not using pro+, and it did not seem too different when I tried the trial

I really don't understand why sometimes it gives a shape and sometimes a bitmap

I'll have to go into it a bit more, as things stand, not enought info to work on

but thanks again
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think the new Shape Builder tool is a terrific step forward from Xara's Boolean operations (which I use extensively). Affinity's new tool speeds up the operation extensively without the need to ensure what shape is on top of another and the constant need to clone cutting shapes. Further it works not only on shapes but lines as well which is almost impossible in Xara.

Mind you I still find it frustrating to use software that doesn't have Undo/Redo icons!!!
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 05 January 2023 at 02:42 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    ... Mind you I still find it frustrating to use software that doesn't have Undo/Redeo icons!!!
    I'm with you there ... IMHO it's a stupid shortsighted omission.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Mind you I still find it frustrating to use software that doesn't have Undo/Redo icons!!!
    I’m surprised at that, but not surprised I didn’t know. The undo/redo buttons are one of the first things I normally hide when setting up a new user interface. I much prefer using the keyboard shortcuts. The iPad version of AD does have them though, as well as an option to hide them!

You could use the History Panel as a clickable undo/redo option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 09.17.33.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	133197
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    I’m surprised at that, but not surprised I didn’t know. The undo/redo buttons are one of the first things I normally hide when setting up a new user interface. I much prefer using the keyboard shortcuts. The iPad version of AD does have them though, as well as an option to hide them!

You could use the History Panel as a clickable undo/redo option.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 09.17.33.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	133197
    I would use edit menu undo/redo with mouse/pen....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Jono/HD I agree that you can use keyboard shortcuts (if you have a keyboard) or use the Edit or History Menu but no undo/redo icons is a glaring fail. The affinity forum is full of requests/searches for these icons. There is even vocal opposition against the requests, pleas to keep the UI clean etc. It has many icons put to back/front, boolean op icons etc. etc., why no undo/redo icons.

Within Xara I use these icons regularly, as I do Ctrl+ Z & Ctrl+Y, but to fail to have such universal icons is stupidity.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I hear you egg... but perhaps affinity is following the adobe model here: photoshop and illustrator do not have the buttons, they are predicated on keyboard shortcuts being the best methodology for almost everything

if it makes you feel any better I remember spitting blood when xara took bitmap tracer out of right click context menu years ago; took me months to get used to it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Gare, I have never understood why we are stuck with Xara's Strokes (e.g., 'goldfish'). I would think this obstacle would the the first and simplest to address.
    Any line converted to a shape, inherently can have its nodes adjusted, but clearly it, no longer being a line, removes its intrinsic worth.
    So no, you are not 'off-topic'. Thank you for raising it.

Acorn
    I registered this request with Charles back when, back when....he agreed at that time that it would be nice to be able to define a vector stroke—I'd have loved it if only they'd copied what Creature House had done in Expression. But the next thing I knew, we had/have groups of drawings bound to a path. And when you export them, try to deconstruct them, or give them a cross look, they turn into bitmaps.

I can brush off this apparent failing because a lot of other programs degrade vectors to bitmaps when there's an element that can't be retained—Affinity designer, depending on what you're exporting, flags you prior to the export. Typically, it's a dynamic screen (Raster) element; a drop shadow, a bevel, and extrude, yah-da-da.

Remember Livebrush ? you could export as vectors, SVG file format, but only if you sprung for the $10 pro edition, which Samsung did not include in their licensing of Livebrush and the defunct Adobe air dev platform.

I do not want to sound too pessimistic as a new year begins, but there's more of a chance McCarthy is voted in as Speaker, than Xara users getting more robust path tools.

That was an unfunny American joke.

My Best,
    Gary

Name:	2023-01-05_07h03_56.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	133201

That was an unfunny American joke.
    10 ballots and counting...

But the next thing I knew, we had/have groups of drawings bound to a path. And when you export them, try to deconstruct them, or give them a cross look, they turn into bitmaps.
    what I was saying earlier, although acorn was not saying what I thought he was....
    Nothing lasts forever...