Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Lock points

Default Lock points

I frequently use Xara Designer Pro to create wiring circuits (see attached). Easy, quick and can 'flip' to show underside wiring.
    scaled and clipped photos of components can be used and the opacity changed etc., etc.,etc.
    My question:
    Is it possible to 'lock' points so I can move components and any wiring and their connections will automatically follow?
    Thanks
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circuit.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	133164  

Default Re: Lock points

Bob, there's no such Xara mechanism.
    There are many circuit diagram tools for this. Some export as SVG.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Here is something that might suit your needs.

I use draw.io. Think of it as MS Visio for free.
    You can define the Connections Points on any shapes and the Waypoints between connections.
    This can be a Desktop download or fully browser driven.
    There is a third approach; you can (almost) integrate it into your Xara Desktop Application.

DrawDotIO.zip - unpack this XWR file to a local folder.
    Then drag it (DrawDotIO.xwr) onto your design page.
    A large pop-up appears.
    Create your diagram, chart or circuit board and Embed as SVG - remember to Copy the code, then press the Xara insert button.

Ideally, when you double-click the created Placeholder, it would re-open the current file.
    Also, if you change where the XWR file is, it will complain it cannot be found. i add all mine into a Xara Widget folder.
    Sadly, you have to locate the saved file and all then is good.

You can also drag existing SVG files directly into the draw.io window.
    It also handles Mermaid data and much, much more.

Acorn

P.S. It only works in XDA versions that have replaced the internal IE instance.
    Last edited by Acorn; 28 December 2022 at 11:38 AM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

video Re: Lock points

you can use the circle shape line arrow as start or end arrow, can't think in a better way

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mbamtray_iCPm4YcyjG.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	133169

dot.xar

let me know if you cant see the video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WCF...usp=share_link
    I can't stop of working.. I will have the eternity to rest
    Madre Teresa de Calcuta.

@Josè, there is no 'automatic follow' that the OP has asked for.
    Yes, you move the start or end and the line follows but not if you move a component with many connectors and lines.

I could not run your video.

Acorn

Quiet a few PCB design packages have free (limited pin count) versions, but usually have no libraries, configuration tables or support and steep learning curves.
    A low cost entry package that has support and forums is probably your best way in, to what you want to do.
    https://fritzing.org/download/

Many thanks for your messages. For some reason I haven't had any email notifications since Acorn's first reply on 27 Dec so was surprised to see the later messages when I revisited today.

@Josè, - As Acorn says, this isn't exactly what I was looking for but is much better than just my current lines. It also has the bonus that when I select a line or point it automatically goes ito 'shape' mode so I can re-route the line easily. Thank you also for taking the time to include the video (which worked for me) and the xar file.

Acorn - Thanks for the 'Draw.io' info. Will try this out when I get the time.

Grafix - Have used 'fritzing' for schematics and breadboard circuits but need to show above and below protoboard components and wiring. Designer Pro is ideal for this - but appreciate your comments.

Again - many thanks to all
    Bob