Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default All These Years Later

I just purchased/installed the latest Xara Pro X 19
    For my very first document, I attempted to import a native CorelDraw .cdr file.
    I would not have spent the $$ had I known Xara (TalkGraphics) has not resolved this import problem with Corel. Adobe Illustrator can do it, the free design module in the Libre suite can do it.
    Why not Xara?
    Bummed again by lack of support.

Don Johnson, Oakland California USA

Default Re: All These Years Later

Don, sorry to here that.
    Had I this as one of my success criterion, I might have tried the Trial first.

Mine handles:
    .EPS CorelDRAW 3 & 4 EPS
    .CDR CorelDRAW (3,4 & 5)
    .CDT CorelDRAW Template
    .CMX Corel CMX 5 & 6
    .CPL CorelDRAW Palette
    .PAL CorelDRAW Palette

Have you an example file that is failing you?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I appreciate your responding, but "shoulda tried first" is a rather snarky answer.
    The CorelDraw .cdr I attempted to import is from their most recent version (2022).
    You're right I should have known Xara has always had difficulty keeping up w/ Corel, probably (my guess) Corel sued Zara many years ago on infringement issues - they shy away from being burned (again).
    Another bunch of wasted $$ on Xara.

Did you try export the file in another format (svg, eps, pfd), or cdr for an older version.

I know it is not the best, but maybe is the only way
    I can't stop of working.. I will have the eternity to rest
    Madre Teresa de Calcuta.

Just to set the record straight. Around 1995 Xara entered into an agreement with Corel to market Xara under the name Corel Xara. I think Corel Draw was at version 6 or 7.

The next release of Corel Draw included a host of Xara's most innovative features including interactive gradient fills and transparency, the context sensitive Infobar menu, and many interactive features that were pioneered by Xara. Once Draw had acquired most of Xara’s innovative features, marketing support for Xara became almost non-existent. I was writing for COREL Magazine at the time and I asked Corel why they had dropped support for Corel Xara. As I recall their response was they had many products they needed to manage and Xara was just not performing that well and they needed to focus on their other products.

Xara, fortunately, managed to get out of the agreement.

If you want to bring Draw documents into Xara then I recommend PDF. It’s pretty much the industry standard.

OakKnowlie, did you start this thread just to bash Xara? Your misinformation and lack of response seems to indicate I am correct.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 26 December 2022 at 04:34 PM.

the qusetion also is why should xara keep up with corel; does corel, or for that matter any other 'mainsteam' graphics program, import XAR files ?

I'd say, like Gary, import PDF
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by OakKnollie View Post
    I appreciate your responding, but "shoulda tried first" is a rather snarky answer.
    Don, I don't do 'snark'; I pointed out something that TG always advises.
    CorelXARA came about in 2005 and the history of that is here and your 'guess' about 'infringement issues' is specious: https://www.xara.com/uk/history/.
    Your purchase is not wasted if you take some time to look into what 17 years of development since then has achieved.
    From your 2009 Posts, you might now look at what web design capabilities are now on offer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

CorelXARA came about in 2005
    I was a presenter at a Rick Altman Corel World Conference in around 1995-6, and Leah Hayman, the marketing director for Corel introduced Corel Xara. I was blown away by her demonstration of this product that was so advanced from anything Corel Draw could do. That was when I switched over. I continued to do the Corel World Conferences until 9/11 when I was in Boston at the same time as the planes flying into the towers in NYC. But after 1996, my presentations were done for Corel Xara. It's not as feature bloated as I recall CorelDRAW always was, but what it does, it does better than any other graphics product.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 26 December 2022 at 04:36 PM.

And just because I really detest trolls, I have to ask Oaknollie, does Corel Draw open Xara, XAR files? Apparently not.

http://product.corel.com/help/CorelD...g=en#/l2TOC445

@gary, sorry I was out by 10 years!
    Doesn't time fly.

Acorn