Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text Flow Question

Hello,
    Is there any way I can get text to flow from one odd shape to another?
    Flowing from a text block to another is easy, but I'm filling odd shapes with text and it's a pain to get the text to flow from one to the other.
    Every time I make a change in the text I have to copy and past text back and forth from one shape to another.

Default Re: Text Flow Question

I don't think it's simple as in text flow between text blocks but here's a cludge that may help:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

This has not been enabled in the product yet. Most shapes have fit-to-container enabled and the primary use case we get from users. However, the capability is there so we will enable and test it for release. It could potentially make the next desktop Plus releases in the new year.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I don't think it's simple as in text flow between text blocks but here's a cludge that may help:
    Egg, thank you for your approach.

I find that all you need do is ensure the Shapes do not intersect before your Join Shapes then Break Shapes restores the originals.

Before Join Shapes, I would Clone the Shapes then Join Shapes and set to 99% Transparency and then Edit Inside.

To make small changes, select the Shape inside the Edit Inside, Break Shapes and adjust shape size & position and select all the shapes again and Join Shapes, the text will reflow fully to fill the new shapes.

It is quicker to Detach the Edit Inside to get the separated Text Area and Shape. Delete the Shape.
    Rework the original Shapes and Clone and Join Shapes.
    Finally, marry text back to the shape.

The other concept is of negative space.
    You would cover the shapes with a larger one and Add Shapes to create shape holes.
    If you then Repel Text Under, the text falls into the holes.
    It has its uses.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat