Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How can I make everything on every page a bit larger, (but stay centred)?

Hello

Is there a simple way to make everything on every page slightly larger?

e.g. I have a PDF which I need to print out. The problem is that it is printing out very small on the page.
    So I need to increase the size of the contents of every page by c. 130%

I could go into every page one at a time and select all, then with Aspect Ratio locked increase Width by 130%...
    ...except that I have 256 pages to print!

I tried scaling the printouts but Xara scales the margin area too - so everything shoots off to the right!

J

Default Re: How can I make everything on every page a bit larger, (but stay centred)?

if the 'margin area' is an object in it's own right then, yes, xara will include it in the scaling

not sure there is an easy way to do this; xara does not have any means of linking content across pages for one-step editing afaik
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: How can I make everything on every page a bit larger, (but stay centred)?

shipen, surely the printing size should be set by your PDF Reader to a custom size / page zoom of 130% for the document?
    I use PDF XChange Editor and it additionally allows the page to be auto-centred.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    xara does not have any means of linking content across pages for one-step editing afaik
    In Xara, you could use Auto-fit to Page > Auto-fit all objects: Width & Height.
    Increase the Page Size (for all) by 130% x 130%.
    Untick Auto-fit all objects.
    Finally, revert the page size.
    Works across all pages at once.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

issue is going to be if the 'margin' is an object; if it is unless it happened to be on a layer of it's own I don't see a way to isolate it, and even then it might still be caught by auto-fit ?

I do wish you could select across pages; I gave up using xara for PDF for that reason, once they took away the merge pages on import; merging dozens of pages manually is no joke either
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    shipen, surely the printing size should be set by your PDF Reader to a custom size / page zoom of 130% for the document?
    I use PDF XChange Editor and it additionally allows the page to be auto-centred.

In Xara, you could use Auto-fit to Page > Auto-fit all objects: Width & Height.
    Increase the Page Size (for all) by 130% x 130%.
    Untick Auto-fit all objects.
    Finally, revert the page size.
    Works across all pages at once.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn

I've never quite understood how Xara (XDProX v19) manages page settings, but here is what I just tried:

So I went: Files ==> Page Options ==> Document (section) ==> [tick] All pages in Document the same
    and then click "Autofit to page" ==> [tick] Auto-fit all objects ==> [select] Width & Height
    and then click "Reset All Objects"
    and then click "Apply"
    and then click "Ok"

Well you might have thought that this would resize all the contents of the page. But unfortunately it doesn't!

J

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Hi Acorn

I've never quite understood how Xara (XDProX v19) manages page settings, but here is what I just tried:

So I went: Files ==> Page Options ==> Document (section) ==> [tick] All pages in Document the same
    and then click "Autofit to page" ==> [tick] Auto-fit all objects ==> [select] Width & Height
    and then click "Reset All Objects"
    and then click "Apply"
    and then click "Ok"
    Well you might have thought that this would resize all the contents of the page. But unfortunately it doesn't!
    J
    shipen, you didn't change the page size at any time!
    Do it before Reset and again after Reset.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    shipen, you didn't change the page size at any time!
    Do it before Reset and again after Reset.

Acorn
    Nope I still cant get that to work.
    Nothing I do can get rid of the top and left hand margin.

Are you thinking I should make the page larger or smaller before setting "AutoFit to Page" on?

Also do I need to "Reset All Objects?"

TBH, I am totally confused by this one!

J

ok I'll try a third time:

with your pdf loaded in xara, are the margins objects, in the file? because if they are, of course xara will include them, it does not know they are 'margins' they are just content

have you tried printing from a PDF program, even adobe reader might be better if it treats PDF margins as margins; without your file notpossible to be sure...

if the content is simply offset in xara then there is still no way to align across pages all in one go that I know of; maybe acorn does...

and the offset may not be there in a PDF editor ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Nope I still cant get that to work.
    Nothing I do can get rid of the top and left hand margin.
    Are you thinking I should make the page larger or smaller before setting "AutoFit to Page" on?
    Also do I need to "Reset All Objects?"
    TBH, I am totally confused by this one!
    J
    shipen, I am sorry you are being confused.

I thought my instructions were sound at Post#3 but clearly not.

The method is to ensure all items are first put to Auto-fit for Width & Height changes.
    You only see it happen when you change the page size.
    You then untick the Auto-fit - 'Reset' also seems to work for me at this point but try what I first suggested.
    You then change the page size back to what it was; the objects do not shrink, they stay scaled at 130% across all pages and the scaling is from the centre of the page.
    If your margins are outside the page edge then on print, these are ignored.

Perhaps a half-dozen of your pages to experiment on?

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok I'll try a third time:

with your pdf loaded in xara, are the margins objects, in the file? because if they are, of course xara will include them, it does not know they are 'margins' they are just content

have you tried printing from a PDF program, even adobe reader might be better if it treats PDF margins as margins; without your file notpossible to be sure...

if the content is simply offset in xara then there is still no way to align across pages all in one go that I know of; maybe acorn does...

and the offset may not be there in a PDF editor ?

>...with your pdf loaded in xara, are the margins objects, in the file?
    No. If on any given page, I manually select everything on the page, the objects are only c. 10.9cm and 21.3cm tall.

> if the content is simply offset in xara then there is still no way to align across pages all in one go that I know of;
    I was hoping to make all the objects on each page become larger from their centres, rather than from they top left corners.