Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Tracking website visitors

Hi

I have a website which is created from a number of Xara files (www.waterwaysongs.info). There are in excess of 30 files (26 of which contains alphabetically related material). Anyway, the point is that inserting code onto every page is not just a simple once only procedure and if I am to make changes I'd rather be sure I was doing the right thing.

Some time ago I removed Google Analytics code from every page as I felt that Google was an invasive commercial operator which I didn't want to be party to. Now I only have limited website visitor info from my web host IONOS and I'm not sure that the page visit data is correct as the most visited pages haven't changed for months.

To the questions : Is there a way of determining page visitor numbers which doesn't cost a fortune and has minimal invasion of privacy? And what's the legal situation?

I know this is not specifically related to a Xara product but members of this forum have been very helpful in the past and I value their opinions.

Ian

Default Re: Tracking website visitors

Ian, get a free Cloudflare account, https://developers.cloudflare.com/le...s/get-started/.
    You can then add your 30+ websites individually or just from the root level. Separately, if they all start with index.htm.

No code insertion, just routing through Cloudflare and it does the rest.
    No legal implications either but read about Cloudflare elsewhere.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn

Another option is statcounter. You do have to enter the code in the page, but they have a code generator for many programs including xara, and give you the instructions on where to paste it in xara. Pasting it in the html body code for the website automatically puts it on every page. Web properties, website, html body code button.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
    Another option is statcounter. You do have to enter the code in the page, but they have a code generator for many programs including xara, and give you the instructions on where to paste it in xara. Pasting it in the html body code for the website automatically puts it on every page. Web properties, website, html body code button.
    Nancy
    Nancy, the free statcounter is fine but it has a limit and Ian has over 30 design files so maintaining them will be tedious.
    Cloudflare is hands-off after the change at your server.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

At first (and second) glance the Cloudfare option seemed intimidating but I carefully read the info and then bit the bullet by diverting a small website through Cloudfare. The process was much easier than I feared and I'm just waiting for the system to settle down so I can then see what visitor data I get on the Free plan. If this is OK I'll divert my main site.
    Thanks again Acorn for your advice.