Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Strange problems after "Content aware Photo size" or mirroring.

Hello,

I have very often a strange problems after "Content aware Photo size" picture manipulation. Please see "collage" screenshot attached below. I go, modify a picture (to make it broader, for example, as here at the gray area).

Everything works fine, I'll save the XAR file later. Then when I open it the next day (or whenever) it looks like a "GIF created with wrong parameters" :-)

The really amazing thing is that this also happens with backup files (saved in another place as well, by me, not by Xara's backup function). It has happened to me very often with such images after "Content aware Photo size". As a (simple) "workaround" I then make a bitmap copy after resizing.

Is there a plausible explanation for this?

I also have another phenomenon: When I insert an image and mirror it, it happens that the image suddenly can no longer be mirrored (so quasi "mirror back" again). It simply "stops" and no longer responds to the mirror command.

Thanks for any help.

TomTom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aufnahme07414.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	133064

Default Re: Strange problems after "Content aware Photo size" or mirroring.

"GIF created with wrong parameters"
    it looks like a low level colour depth image without dithering to me

it seems that the xara file is not saving correctly, but without your file it is guesswork as to why...

not sure what tool you mean by 'mirror' - there is a 'flip' tool for horizontal and vertical on the select tool infobar...

some operations such as live effects can lock the bitmap so it is no longer editable - also applying content aware resizing to a live effect bitmap may itself not work/save correctly and might be your problem if you are doing this - if so make a bitmap copy of the live effect bitmap and content aware resize that instead

[ and the reverse too: applying live effect to content aware resized bitmap is not a good idea, better to apply it to a bitmap copy]

hope that helps
    Last edited by handrawn; 26 November 2022 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add reverse
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

TomTom, Xara can import and export GIFs, it never stores anything as a GIF and effectively saves images internally as unpacked bitmaps.
    If you are getting a GIF error, can you check that you have no GIFs saved in the Bitmap Gallery?

Content Aware processing works fine for me.

I have no idea why anything will not flip (mirror).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    TomTom, Xara can import and export GIFs, it never stores anything as a GIF and effectively saves images internally as unpacked bitmaps.
    If you are getting a GIF error, can you check that you have no GIFs saved in the Bitmap Gallery?

Content Aware processing works fine for me.

I have no idea why anything will not flip (mirror).

Acorn
    Hello Acorn,

my problem ist not with GIF, you did understand somethiung wrong. I think it could bee more likely the reason what handrawn did write. Si I will do some more tests.

Thanks to all!

TomTom