Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Pro question from a newbie - is there an FTP function?

Hello! I had a Windows 7 laptop still running and I was using JASC Paint shop pro and Macromedia Dreamweaver (ancient, I know, but it still worked just fine) until it died a few weeks ago. Now I'm adjusting to a new laptop with Windows 11. I'm just getting started to learn Xara. Does the program have the capability to upload files and graphics to my existing web sites or is the function only for previewing work and/or uploading to the free Xara web space that I read was included in the purchase? Am I going to need to buy new FTP software to upload to my web space? Thanks!

Default Re: Xara Pro question from a newbie - is there an FTP function?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbiJM View Post
    Hello! I had a Windows 7 laptop still running and I was using JASC Paint shop pro and Macromedia Dreamweaver (ancient, I know, but it still worked just fine) until it died a few weeks ago. Now I'm adjusting to a new laptop with Windows 11. I'm just getting started to learn Xara. Does the program have the capability to upload files and graphics to my existing web sites or is the function only for previewing work and/or uploading to the free Xara web space that I read was included in the purchase? Am I going to need to buy new FTP software to upload to my web space? Thanks!
    Bobbi, welcome to Talkgraphics. XDPX has built in FTP capability but it for uploading Xara designs. If you after more general use then l would use the free Filezilla program. The more recent versions use Publish Website, which will require an existing FTP profile.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, any Xara version capable of web editing can FTP directly to your host. To set up your credentials:

Utilities > Web Properties > Publish (tab). Click the Settings button next to Other Web Host (via FTP) and fill in your details.

Click Explore Web Space to test your settings. If you don't see what you would expect, try adding public_html to the Sub Folder (optional) section.
    Filling in the Website URL will tell Xara to write a robots file and site map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bobbi.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	133059

Thank you, Acorn and Chris M.

So I think the answer is yes, but to restate it - I will be able to open HTML files I created on my old software in Xara, make changes or corrections and upload the "new" file with Xara?

On looking over the manual, I also see there's a feature to download files from online - again, will it be compatible for me to use this if I want to pull "old" work from my websites and view it/make changes or corrections in Xara?

Thanks, again

Bobbi

Bobbi, no. XDPX is not a code editor. I said it handled Xara designs.

You can import from Web Address but all this will do is present images and text matching your current layout. It does not bring over code or hidden detail.

You will have to rework your old sites.
    Also Xara renders static sites (HTML). It relies on third party widgets for ecommerce and videos although if you have the skills you can add your own code.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Rebuilding your site(s) would be the way to go. Xara will copy an existing site's content, but not all the coding that goes with it.

Like Win7 to 11, a learning curve with a lot of muttering and scowling, but you'll be happy with the outcome.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and being patient with me, Acorn and Chris.

I'm really torn on staying with the software. I'm going to have to keep mauling this over for another day or so. Xara was recommended to me several years ago (while my old laptop was still working just fine) and I did like the idea that I could concentrate on the creative side of webdesign and not drive myself crazy with working out coding errors or design issues created by the code.

And when I did start looking at the cost of new software a few weeks ago, what a pleasant surprise to see that the single program was a complete inclusive suite - I could do a website, create graphics, edit photos or even open documents and do desk top publishing. Especially since I want to expand my skill set and earn income beyond web design. And while I had a new computer, I obviously couldn't do much with it without the software - getting one program (on sale no less) to do everything was very serendipitous!

But this is the issue - my last class was in responsive and mobile webdesign. I am very aware of all the hours I put in re-doing my sites and those of my clients to make sure that the sites looked good and adapted to screen size. I had to tweak the navigation bars for weeks to be sure the links/buttons were large enough for fingertips to tap (man how I hate my cell phone when I don't have a stylus handy and I have small hands!) and weren't so big that the options (links) filled more than one screen.

And I loved discovering the code to set up multiple size options for images - that automatically resizes the image to the screen size. That was hours of work creating 3 different graphics for every image.

Will Xara do this for me (or give me the option to specify that I have 3 graphics for every single image that should resize to screen size)? Will the overall design automatically adapt to the screen size of the viewing device?

While I've realized that as I've said, web design probably isn't going to be my main source of income, maybe Xara will, in the long run, be a good solution for me. But I can't help think about everything I learned with coding and I don't know what I'd be giving up letting the software do this for me.

And this includes meta tags and site maps (not visible site link indexing but the page in code submitted to Google so that the site gets indexed in the search engine). SEO was one thing I never really spent as much time on as it was hinted I should but again, what happens to that if I can't go in and check the code or I can't create a site map and upload it to the site and tell Google it's there?

And yes, the idea that I can't go in and fix really simple errors on my existing sites - like a bad link, a missing graphic, or updating and resubmitting a sitemap - without redoing the entire site - when the existing site is fine the way it is - that's what's making me rethink whether the software really makes sense or not for me.

Again, thank you for your time and patience
    Bobbi

...my last class was in responsive and mobile webdesign. I am very aware of all the hours I put in re-doing my sites and those of my clients to make sure that the sites looked good and adapted to screen size. I had to tweak the navigation bars for weeks to be sure the links/buttons were large enough for fingertips to tap (man how I hate my cell phone when I don't have a stylus handy and I have small hands!) and weren't so big that the options (links) filled more than one screen.
    And I loved discovering the code to set up multiple size options for images - that automatically resizes the image to the screen size. That was hours of work creating 3 different graphics for every image.
    Will Xara do this for me (or give me the option to specify that I have 3 graphics for every single image that should resize to screen size)? Will the overall design automatically adapt to the screen size of the viewing device?
    Bobbi
    Xara designs are adaptive. You create one Main and, mostly, automatically clone into a smaller Variant. Xara then has a Scale to Fit Width so you can render across a range of devices' width. You could add even more variants. Effectively, two site designs published as one.
    Images are automatically scaled to what ever size you chose, without calculation.
    On a variant, the simple solution to menu resizing is to create a separate hamburger menu.

..While I've realized that as I've said, web design probably isn't going to be my main source of income, maybe Xara will, in the long run, be a good solution for me. But I can't help think about everything I learned with coding and I don't know what I'd be giving up letting the software do this for me.
    And this includes meta tags and site maps (not visible site link indexing but the page in code submitted to Google so that the site gets indexed in the search engine). SEO was one thing I never really spent as much time on as it was hinted I should but again, what happens to that if I can't go in and check the code or I can't create a site map and upload it to the site and tell Google it's there?
    Your coding can still be used by inserting code snippets through shapes that act as Placeholders.
    There are site and page keywords, descriptions and the ability to add meta to augment SEO. I personally aim for Accessibility over SEO as my primary driver as good Accessibility engenders good SEO.
    Xara creates sitemaps but you can apply third-party xml as well.

And yes, the idea that I can't go in and fix really simple errors on my existing sites - like a bad link, a missing graphic, or updating and resubmitting a sitemap - without redoing the entire site - when the existing site is fine the way it is - that's what's making me rethink whether the software really makes sense or not for me.
    I use Filezilla and a text editor to handle URL corrections and simple changes on non-Xara sites.
    You have to trade-off legacy maintenance with the speedier development of a Xara successor website.

It depends on the complexity of your current sites but it is possible to redesign an 8-page site in a day.

Seriously, get a trial version and hammer it for a day. Ask us questions. Absorb. And repeat.

I have an extensive coding background and I have even used Xara just to prototype to find the client just want that rather than re-implement in a conventional development that they wanted or expected.

Acorn

Wow! Thank you, Acorn. So if I change my way of thinking about this, it really is possible for the software to work for me.

Now I need to research Filezilla and a text editor. ;-)

thanks, again
    Bobbi