Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A problem when exporting in SVG : 75 dpi and nothing else !

Hello to all :-)

I have a strange problem with Xara Designer (Pro X11).

I created 2 vector illustrations in Xara (in a A3 format). Then, I want to export both of them in svg (my aim is to do a bitmap finish in another program - Affinity)
    When exporting my images, I manage to export the first one at any resolution I want (75, 96, 150, 300 dpi). Of course I prefer to choose the highest resolution of 300 dpi, to get the best result to print the illustrations.
    But for the second illustration, the resolution stays at 75 dpi, whatever I choose when exporting. That's very very strange.

The 2 illustrations are very closed. I don't see any significant difference between the two. What could be the blocage here ?

Thank you for your help !
    Stéphane
    Graphisme, illustrations & Webdesign - France
    creavisa

Default Re: A problem when exporting in SVG : 75 dpi and nothing else !

are they pure vector ? if they are, then the dpi setting does not matter, it only matters if there is a bitmap component to the svg export

have you sucessfully imported SVG, exported from Xara, into Affinity - I find that in APhoto they tend to import off canvas, and in ADesigner they are nowhere to be seen; but I would use PDF for vector anyway...

no idea why there is a difference in the export settings
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    have you sucessfully imported SVG, exported from Xara, into Affinity - I find that in APhoto they tend to import off canvas, and in ADesigner they are nowhere to be seen
    i don't see that behavior in Affinity Designer 2. When I drag & drop, the content ends up exactly where the cursor is. By the way, a new feature is that when you drag & drop while holding the Alt key, the placement tool opens with which you can determine exact placement and size. In addition, when you drag & drop a bunch of assets, a "Place images' panel opens showing them all and allowing you with the placement tool to place them one after the other in the order you wish. Only thing is that if you exit this tool, the panel and placement tool disappear (this behavior may be changed in a future update).

Thinking about it, it only happens with SVG exports made with Xara Designer pro 19

Xara Designer pro 11 and 15.1 do not have this issue, I just checked

can't speak for Designer pro+

the place images panel makes no difference because the objects are sill outside the frame for the XDP19 export

here are the files if anyone wants to check [in case it just a quirk of my setup] thanks

out11.svg
    out15.svg
    out19.svg

with the out19 file imported into APhoto need to extend the canvas upwards from around 860 px to 2580 px to see the objects clearly [approx 1:3]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

here are the files if anyone wants to check [in case it just a quirk of my setup]

out11.svg
    out15.svg
    out19.svg

with the out19 file imported into APhoto need to extend the canvas upwards from around 860 px to 2580 px to see the objects clearly [approx 1:3]
    Now, here's a funny thing. In both APhoto 1 and 2 (as well as in ADesigner, not surprisingly), the out19 file opens but is empty. The other two files show fine. I also exported an .svg file from XDP 19 and had the same results.

it is not empty - it just is off canvas as I mentioned above - if you increase the affinity canvas size to 2500px high making sure the focus of the imported canvas is middle bottom row then you will see it
    Nothing lasts forever...

No, it's empty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	133060  

I agree with Boy, 11 & 15 import as expected but 19 imports onto the page but it's blank. After doing the video below I upgaded Affinity Photo to the latest version but it made no difference. As a matter of interest if I import 19 into inkscape and export it it loads into Affinity fine.

EDIT: Video not playing on TG for an unknown reason. Click to view on YouTube

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

try this - Affinity Photo 2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	svg ap01.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	133061

Name:	svg ap02.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	133062

Name:	svg ap03.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	133063
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Stephane, I don't think any of the above relates to your problem. Could you attach the xar/web file that you can't export above 72dpi so we could try it out?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host